Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: wlan problems

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    2

    wlan problems

    I can't seem to connect to lan with my netgear wg311v1 card. If I run LSPCI it shows correctly as Atheros. I have run wlcardconfig and set it up properly. Tried pump -i eth0, but fails. If I run netcardconfig it says something like "no compatible card found." Anybody have any ideas?

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    157
    What is the output of iwconfig?

    Do you have a dhcp server on your wireless lan?

    Try pump -i ath0. I have a card with the Atheros chipset, and this seems to be the default device name.

  3. #3
    Hey, I've got exactly the same card and it works no bother.

    iwconfig should list ath0, if it does you can contine as follows (need root)

    ifconfig ath0 up (Turns on the card)
    iwlist ath0 scan (Scans for local netoworks)
    if config ath0 xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (Give yourself an IP)

    at this point you should be able to ping other machines and the router on your network. Then you can:

    pump -i ath0

    This should have you connected up no problems if not I've found these three useful:

    iwconfig ath0 channel XX (The channel you are using)
    iwconfig ath0 mode Managed (If connecting to a router)
    iwconfig ath0 essid XXXXXX (The name of the network exactly as it appeared in iwlist ath0 scan)

    Hope that helps

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    2
    OK, please forgive me but I'm very new to wireless (especially in Linux) but I do have some Linux/BSD experience.

    I've got a Proxim 8471 (silver) card and when I plug the card into my pcmcia slot in Linux iwconfig does not show the card. The card is supported with the Atheros chipset according to their site and has been used according to people on other sites (netstumbler.org). I'm using KNOPPIX_V3.4-2004-05-17-EN.iso. The card works fine under Windows 2000 sp4. My 3com 10 Mb NIC works fine with Knoppix so it doesn't appear to be a problem with pcmcia support.

    I don't think I'm doing anything wrong but it's possible that I am. Could anybody provide me with some assistance to get my wireless Linux days started??

    Thanks,

    Lockdown

  5. #5
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    13
    Atheros based wifi cards need the madwifi drivers to be installed on your system. Knoppix has yet to come with these drivers working.

    You can go to http://sourceforge.net/projects/madwifi/ and download the drivers, or you could use my installer script from http://false-hopes.com/madwifi-home.php . My installer script takes care of installing and loading the drivers for you, in the end all you will need to do is iwconfig.

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    2
    false-hopes -

    According to http://www.knoppix.net/knoppix-3.4/packages.txt madwifi is included with Knoppix 3.4 so I'll try to get them working based off of your scripts tonight when I get home.

    I'm hoping they are installed and working because my wife won't let me format her drive and put linux on it.

    Lockdown

  7. #7
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    13
    well, if they are already installed in 3.4, your best bet is to figure out where they are and just modprobe/insmod them, don't use my script. sorry.

Similar Threads

  1. Wlan problems yet again.
    By kevman in forum Networking
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-31-2004, 05:55 PM
  2. Wlan-Card-Problems
    By CKLM in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-18-2004, 08:18 PM
  3. Belkin F5D6020 wlan card problems
    By extricator71 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-14-2004, 07:20 AM
  4. usb wlan problems
    By Rudy75 in forum Networking
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-26-2004, 12:58 PM
  5. N00b Wlan Proxim Help install problems
    By okeydokey in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-28-2004, 07:09 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch picture

TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch

$19.99



NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch picture

NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch

$49.99



Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch picture

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch

$129.99



TP-Link TL-SG1048 48-Port Gigabit Rackmount Switch New Factory Sealed picture

TP-Link TL-SG1048 48-Port Gigabit Rackmount Switch New Factory Sealed

$199.99



10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W picture

10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W

$39.99



TP-Link TL-SG2210P 10-Port Gigabit Smart Switch w/ 8-Port PoE+ NO AC SKU 25597 picture

TP-Link TL-SG2210P 10-Port Gigabit Smart Switch w/ 8-Port PoE+ NO AC SKU 25597

$36.98



Arista DCS-7050SX-64-R 48P 10GbE SFP+ 4P 40GbE QSFP+ RA Switch picture

Arista DCS-7050SX-64-R 48P 10GbE SFP+ 4P 40GbE QSFP+ RA Switch

$115.00



Arista DCS-7010T-48-R 48P 1GbE 4P 10GbE SFP+ RA Switch with rack mounts picture

Arista DCS-7010T-48-R 48P 1GbE 4P 10GbE SFP+ RA Switch with rack mounts

$69.00



Linksys LGS328MPC 24-Port Managed Gigabit PoE+ Switch with 4 10G SFP+ Uplinks picture

Linksys LGS328MPC 24-Port Managed Gigabit PoE+ Switch with 4 10G SFP+ Uplinks

$224.95



Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch picture

Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch

$46.99