Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: system hosed?

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    East Coast, USA
    Posts
    17

    system hosed?

    This weekend I did:
    apt-get -t unstable install kaffeine kaffeine-mozilla
    on my hdd knoppix install.

    Kaffeine tried to install but (for some unknown reason) failed. Now my system boots but I have very limited functionality. The KDE menu has only a few entries. Can't start Konqueror or KMail. In fact, I can't even start a console window from inside KDE.

    So I guess some files were overwritten and trashed. What to do? I'm thinking I must re-install Knoppix.

    Too bad ProBono's post about klik came too late for me....
    Any advice?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    900
    Did you try apt-get -f install to see if any packages were not completely installed?

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    East Coast, USA
    Posts
    17
    No.

    I can't open a console, so how to do this?

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    900
    Use a virtual terminal. How? CTRL+ALT+F1 (F2, F3 etc.)
    HTH

  5. #5
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    East Coast, USA
    Posts
    17
    OK, this works and I can get a term.

    Did apt-get -f install and lots of stuff came back. Mostly messages about packages not installed and to be removed. Got the option to proceed and entered 'Y'.

    Then got a time out message from
    ftp2.de.debian.org (195.71.9.196)

    So, a problem with my sources.list file? Now I remember I had the same message when trying to apt-get kaffeine on the weekend that started this problem.

    Funny, apt-get worked before.

  6. #6
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    East Coast, USA
    Posts
    17
    More progress.

    In another recent forum I found advice to change all references in /etc/apt/sources.list from

    ftp2.de.debian.org
    to
    ftp.de.debian.org

    That seemed to get things going but still having problem.

    After doing 'apt-get update' and 'apt-get -f install' I still get some messages about not finding packages.

    Is this still a problem with /etc/apt/sources.list??

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    900
    You should use apt-spy. It can benchmark debian server for you. I use these parameters:
    Code:
    apt-spy -d unstable -a North-America -o mirrors.txt
    man apt-spy is a good place to start. DO NOT use -o /etc/apt/sources.list or it will overwrite your current sources.list file! You can do:
    mv mirrors.txt /etc/apt/sources.list
    then add any other sources you may have
    OR
    Simply add the new Debian mirrors (from mirrors.txt) to your existing /etc/apt/sources.list. Whatever works for you.

    Pay no attention to those who are whining about apt being broken as they are unenlightened.

Similar Threads

  1. hosed hd with mbr...how do I install an mbr on good drive
    By helios17 in forum General Support
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 10-16-2004, 06:03 PM
  2. The 3.4/2004-05-17 Buglist is hosed
    By j.drake in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-15-2004, 02:58 AM
  3. The wiki is hosed
    By mzilikazi in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-07-2004, 04:51 AM
  4. LCD is Fuzzy/resolution hosed
    By WinH8r in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-22-2004, 06:20 AM
  5. Network now hosed on HDD partition
    By dsleeb in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-04-2003, 11:27 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16

Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16" i9 275HX 2S RTX 5070 Ti 32GB 1TB SSD Refurb

$1694.85



Dell Latitude 14

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i7 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro

$427.48



External SSD 1TB 2TB  Portable Hard Drive USB 3.1 Type-C High Speed PC Mac picture

External SSD 1TB 2TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.1 Type-C High Speed PC Mac

$15.99



External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac picture

External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac

$19.99



Acer Aspire 14

Acer Aspire 14" AI Copilot+PC Laptop Core Ultra 5 226V Gen 4 ARC 16GB 1TB Refurb

$441.77



SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM picture

SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM

$159.99



Acer Aspire 16 16

Acer Aspire 16 16" Laptop Core Ultra 5 226V S2 16GB RAM 1TB SSD Arc Refurbished

$519.99



Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD picture

Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD

$129.99



Dell Latitude 14

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i5 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro

$288.98



Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$90.00