Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: no streaming video in browser

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    16

    no streaming video in browser

    Anybody have any luck watching streaming video (windows media, quicktime, realplayer) inside a browser?

    I can't get it working in either konqueror or mozilla. I've tried installing kaffeine via the klik menu (which crashes when it runs) and realplayer10 (which only plays realmedia OUTSIDE the browser - I thought realplayer10 was supposed to include the codecs for all the media types including quicktime?)

    Also I was quite unhappy to see the link for mplayer disappear from the klik menu at klik.berlios.de . What is the best video media player to use with knoppix LIVE v3.3?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    611
    I install mplayer and the mplayer browser plugin for mozilla-firefox in my remastered Knoppix to allow for streaming video.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,353
    I've found that Kaffeine will play streams that the mplayer plugin chokes on. Maybe your problem is that you are using Knoppix 3.3 - though I am using a hard drive installed version of Kaffeine. If you have the bandwidth, try grabbing 3.4

  4. #4
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    16
    ok I've gotten the latest knoppix 3.4, so kaffeine and kplayer both load ok from the klik site now.

    Still can't get streaming video to work in browser. Is there further configuration required in order to view streaming video in either konqueror (preferably) or mozilla? (quicktime, asf, wmv, realplayer)

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    611
    Yes, you will need to install the browser plugins for realpayer, quicktime, and/or mplayer for each browser.

    I opted for moderate functionality and use the mplayer plugin in mozilla firefox and konqueror. The realplayer plugin is not free, and I just hate quicktime.

  6. #6
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    16
    Where do I find plugins for windows media/quicktime/realplayer to play in konqueror, for kplayer or kaffeine?

    The mplayer link disappeared from klik, so with knoppix 3.4 LIVE cd (no harddrive) I can only use whats available on klik, right?

    Upon installing kaffeine from klik, I saw that it installed some browser plugins, but I still get error messages instead of video in the browser, when visiting a site with streaming video.

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    611
    Yeah, running from CD, klik is your only option. I rember you could get the flash plugin through klick, but I'm not sure about any others. (I've never used klik) I install what I need before building my own iso.

  8. #8
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    57
    For HDD installed Knoppix, go here to get .WMV playing (read it first):
    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16133

Similar Threads

  1. streaming audio / xmms running in KDE
    By bob58 in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-01-2004, 07:05 PM
  2. STILL TRYING TO GET STREAMING VIDEO WORKING
    By redss in forum General Support
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 08-14-2004, 02:44 AM
  3. no streaming video?
    By drews in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-16-2004, 04:11 PM
  4. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-05-2003, 06:02 PM
  5. Streaming music choices
    By Loper in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-22-2003, 06:39 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Lenovo - Yoga 7i 2-in-1 16

Lenovo - Yoga 7i 2-in-1 16" 2K Touchscreen Laptop - Intel Core Ultra 5 Proces...

$749.99



Lenovo ThinkPad T14 G2 14-Inch AMD Ryzen R5 5650U 16GB, 512GB SSD Win 11 Pro picture

Lenovo ThinkPad T14 G2 14-Inch AMD Ryzen R5 5650U 16GB, 512GB SSD Win 11 Pro

$398.99



Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6

Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6" 16GB, Thunder Black

$241.50



Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 2 14

Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 2 14" i7-1165G7 2.80GHz 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Windows 11

$284.99



Lenovo - IdeaPad Slim 3 15.6

Lenovo - IdeaPad Slim 3 15.6" Full HD Laptop - AMD Ryzen 5 40 2025 - 8GB Memo...

$379.99



LENOVO THINKPAD T14 GEN 2i  CORE I7-11165G7 2.8GHZ 16GB 256 SSD WCAM WI1 CORD picture

LENOVO THINKPAD T14 GEN 2i CORE I7-11165G7 2.8GHZ 16GB 256 SSD WCAM WI1 CORD

$235.00



Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 2 i5-1145G7 16GB 512GB SSD Touch Win 11 Pro Good picture

Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 2 i5-1145G7 16GB 512GB SSD Touch Win 11 Pro Good

$261.99



Lenovo IdeaPad 5 2-in-1 16

Lenovo IdeaPad 5 2-in-1 16" WUXGA Touch Ryzen 7 8845HS 16GB 512GB SSD FPReader

$571.00



Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6

Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6" 16GB, Thunder Black

$241.50



Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 2 14

Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 2 14" Touchscreen i7-1185G7 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11

$284.99