Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Knoppix will not shut the power on the computer off

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    149

    Knoppix will not shut the power on the computer off

    Hi;

    I got a brand new PC this weekend....the first in 5 years .

    It has all of the new energy saving features in it.

    I had it custom built from parts at a local computer shop.

    It has a Pentium 4 Processor ( 2.53 giga hertz ) that came with its own
    motherboard. The motherboard is a

    "Intel Desktop Board D845PESV"....this is also the name of the chipset.

    I put Mandrake 9 on it. I took that off and then put Knoppix 3.1 on the
    hard drive ( much better! ).

    Anyway, with both operating systems I could not turn my computer all of
    the way off the way I could with Suse 7.2 on my 5 year old Gateway box.

    By "turning all of the way off" I mean logging out of everything, stopping
    the operating system,.....AND... turning the power off on the computer.

    This situation is true with trying to shut the computer down:

    - with "shutdown -h now"
    - with "shutdown -r now"
    - with "halt"
    - from the menu on lilo
    - from the KDE menu

    Is this problem a hardware issue, or a GNU/linux issue?

    Any ideas about how I can solve it?

    Thanks in advance for any information

    Steve

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Royal Oak, Michigan USA
    Posts
    199

    Re: Knoppix will not power-down the computer

    Quote Originally Posted by beforewisdom
    I got a brand new PC this weekend....the first in 5 years. It has all of the new energy saving features in it... with both operating systems I could not turn my computer all the way off the way I could with Suse 7.2 on my 5-year-old Gateway box... Thanks in advance for any information.
    Congratulations on your brand new PC! Since the problem happened with two different distros, check your BIOS under the Power Management menu. There are usually two modes, either ACPI or APM. I'm not familiar with that board - try fooling around with both settings (after reading the manual, of course).

Similar Threads

  1. Knoppix 3.4 5-10 Won't Shut off PC
    By bongski55 in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-17-2004, 01:15 AM
  2. Install Knoppix to a Power MAC 5400/180 Computer
    By bob58 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-27-2004, 01:37 AM
  3. Computer does not completely shut down
    By bob58 in forum General Support
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 03-25-2004, 08:34 PM
  4. computer won't power off
    By dimkal in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-07-2004, 12:04 AM
  5. Cannot get computer to shut down
    By PapaNoHair in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-13-2003, 07:02 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch picture

TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch

$19.99



Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch picture

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch

$129.99



NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch picture

NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch

$49.99



TP-Link TL-SG1048 48-Port Gigabit Rackmount Switch New Factory Sealed picture

TP-Link TL-SG1048 48-Port Gigabit Rackmount Switch New Factory Sealed

$199.99



10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W picture

10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W

$39.99



TP-Link TL-SG2210P 10-Port Gigabit Smart Switch w/ 8-Port PoE+ NO AC SKU 25597 picture

TP-Link TL-SG2210P 10-Port Gigabit Smart Switch w/ 8-Port PoE+ NO AC SKU 25597

$36.98



5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Home Network Hub, Office Ethernet S... picture

5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Home Network Hub, Office Ethernet S...

$9.64



Arista DCS-7050SX-64-R 48P 10GbE SFP+ 4P 40GbE QSFP+ RA Switch picture

Arista DCS-7050SX-64-R 48P 10GbE SFP+ 4P 40GbE QSFP+ RA Switch

$115.00



Linksys LGS328MPC 24-Port Managed Gigabit PoE+ Switch with 4 10G SFP+ Uplinks picture

Linksys LGS328MPC 24-Port Managed Gigabit PoE+ Switch with 4 10G SFP+ Uplinks

$224.95



5Ports Gigabit Network Switch w/ 4 PoE+ Ports Total 52W each port 30W Plug&Play picture

5Ports Gigabit Network Switch w/ 4 PoE+ Ports Total 52W each port 30W Plug&Play

$31.99