Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: cannot proceed using knoppix-installer !

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    2

    cannot proceed using knoppix-installer !

    Hey All:

    Just trying to get a little ahead of the Linux Learning curve, and I need a little assistance. I'm am trying to install Ver. 3.3 build 11-19-03. My desire is to set up a dual boot environment on the HDD (30 GB Seagate Ultra ATA Drive) I've sucessfully used Qt-parted to give myself some Free space to partition for ROOT (4+GB) and SWAP (700+MB). This is where I run into a problem. I've already set up these partitions (both ext3) and when I "Sudo Knoppix-Installer" the first thing that happens (I'm sure by design) is that QTParted opens to create partitions. From there I get nowhere ! It just stalls and the script doesn't continue. I'm sure it's simple, but being a knewb, I am missing something. The partitions are there already ! how do I get to the point that knoppix-installer asks where to install ? Also I have seen opinions posted re: dual booting and wanted to know if general opinion is that LILO will do a sufficient job from the MBR for Dual booting. I've made it this far and I really don't want to corrupt anything that will prohibit me from Dual Booting.


    Thanks for your Valued Input !

  2. #2
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    23
    The Swap partition needs to be "swap" type, NOT ext3. The reason your script is stalling is because the program needs a certain amount of RAM+SWAP to run, and there's not enough RAM in your computer to do it alone. If I recall correctly, it needs at least 512megs of RAM+SWAP.

    It probably listed this requirement in its popup window explaining what it needed, but your brain didn't process it because you didn't realize your "swap" partition was useless.

    Go to QTParted and remove that ext3 "SWAP" partition and create a new partition of type swap. Knoppix will then automatically detect and use this partition--giving it plenty of space to complete the script.

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    23
    Oh, go ahead and use LILO and just accept the defaults. I've used it for several dual boot systems (Windows 98/Knoppix), including overwriting older installs (this completely wipes clean the old Linux partition for starting completely fresh; the Windows setup is unaffected).

Similar Threads

  1. knoppix-installer.po
    By jonli in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-15-2006, 11:51 PM
  2. Knoppix 3.4 HD installer
    By Jesse in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-22-2004, 12:21 AM
  3. need knoppix-installer
    By arkaine23 in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-11-2003, 10:01 PM
  4. knoppix-installer
    By CrashedAgain in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-07-2003, 11:31 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit picture

KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit

$19.99



Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP,  (6 CDS) picture

Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP, (6 CDS)

$10.00



KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED picture

KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED

$11.99



Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive picture

Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive

$5.99



Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 16G USB Stick

$20.85



Knoppix NSM 1.2 picture

Knoppix NSM 1.2

$8.00



VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION) picture

VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION)

$7.57



Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 32G USB Stick

$21.42



Hamshack Live DVD-ROM picture

Hamshack Live DVD-ROM

$7.00



Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006 picture

Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006

$34.01