-
Knoppix as a Hub/Router/Switch
Hey guys,
I'm new to this forum (or any forum for that matter
).
I would like to customize Knoppix to be used as a Switch or a Hub or a Router on a network with 4 subnets.
I dont need any security (other than the fact that Im trying to isolate 4 subnets
) however I do want to make it "modular" (I was thinking of using a floppy to save system/network configurations and to have Knoppix "look" for that floppy on boot)
I would appreciate any input or suggestions or advice or tips as I've never tried anything like this before.
Thanks
-
Senior Member
registered user
I guess for making a hub or switch for 4 subnets out of your linux-box, you need 4 network-cards.
You may get a small swtich for less money, especially less money for the power when running.
If there are 4 different subnets, you want to connect, you will need a router.
There are hardware-routers too, but more expensive than a switch.
I'm not sure, whether the promisque-mode of an eth-card may be used for switching/ routing.
Perhaps you just need a proxy?
-
I was thinking of using Masqurade (NAT for Linux).
sound right?
-
Junior Member
registered user
yeah masquerade would be the thing to use... im suprised no one has done this yet. Be advised though there are distros like clarkconnect that do what you want (they do require a HD though)
-

Originally Posted by
PROhan
yeah masquerade would be the thing to use... im suprised no one has done this yet. Be advised though there are distros like clarkconnect that do what you want (they do require a HD though)
Thanks (PROhan) for the info on clarkconnect, never heard of it before...
-
Senior Member
registered user
-
Why not try Smooth Wall? It's a Linux based firewall that works well for me...
Similar Threads
-
By Guider in forum Networking
Replies: 8
Last Post: 03-30-2005, 07:46 AM
-
By wilson001 in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 14
Last Post: 01-25-2005, 05:25 AM
-
By pi8ch in forum Networking
Replies: 2
Last Post: 12-06-2004, 04:30 PM
-
By nd4spdbh in forum Networking
Replies: 10
Last Post: 04-02-2004, 01:47 AM
-
By Nils_ in forum Networking
Replies: 3
Last Post: 11-19-2003, 02:12 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit
$99.99

A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G
$21.68

Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC
$29.99

Lot of 88GB (22x4GB) ADVANTECH 1RX16 DDR4 PC4-2400U AQD-D4U4GN24-HP MEMORY RAM
$286.00

ADATA XPG Lancer Blade RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 Desktop RAM Black
$429.94

DDR4 Laptop RAM 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB 2400 2666 3200 Samsung Hynix
$66.00

Samsung 16GB LPCAMM2 PC5 7500 DDR5 LPDDR5X CAMM2 M561K1LC4DM0-CCTGM RAM Memory
$189.00

RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED
$445.00

LOT OF 4 Samsung 16GB DDR4-2666 ECC UDIMM 2Rx8 PC4-21300 M391A2K43BB1-CTDQ
$469.95

NEW IN BOX - Corsair Vengeance RGB 32gb (2x16gb) DDR6200 CL36 CMH32GX5M2B6200C3
$550.00