Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Losing Control Of The Mouse

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    149

    Losing Control Of The Mouse

    Hi;

    I installed Knoppix 3.1 to the hard drive of a new computer.

    Its a custom built machine with a Pentium 4 CPU that came with an "Intel
    Desktop Board d845PESV" motherboard ( also the name of the chipset on the
    mother board ).


    When I log out of a desktop/window manager(icewm,gnome,kde) and return to
    a gui lilo dialog I lose control of the mouse.


    No matter how much I move my mouse I can't make the caret/cursor/pointer
    on the screen move.

    I can temporarily fix this problem by rebooting X windows by pressing
    Ctrl-Alt-Backspace.

    I would like to fix this problem permanently.

    Any ideas on how to do this?

    Thanks in advance

    Steve
    ( this question has been posted to the forums at knoppix.net and
    comp.os.linux).

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Royal Oak, Michigan USA
    Posts
    199

    Re: Losing Control Of The Mouse

    Quote Originally Posted by beforewisdom
    When I log out of a desktop/window manager(icewm,gnome,kde) and return to a gui lilo dialog I lose control of the mouse... Thanks in advance.
    Is it a PS/2 mouse or USB mouse? I suspect USB; what brand? One of the problems with inexpensive mice (and even some expensive ones, I suspect) is that they are only tested under Windows. There are hardware timing issues with some peripherals -- remember, a USB mouse has a microcontroller in it and has to "shake hands" with the PC hardware on a continuing basis. It may well be "losing its grip" while in command-line interface (CLI) mode. This has happened to me.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    149

    Re: Losing Control Of The Mouse

    Quote Originally Posted by Loper
    Quote Originally Posted by beforewisdom
    When I log out of a desktop/window manager(icewm,gnome,kde) and return to a gui lilo dialog I lose control of the mouse... Thanks in advance.
    Is it a PS/2 mouse or USB mouse? I suspect USB; what brand? One of the problems with inexpensive mice (and even some expensive ones, I suspect) is that they are only tested under Windows. There are hardware timing issues with some peripherals -- remember, a USB mouse has a microcontroller in it and has to "shake hands" with the PC hardware on a continuing basis. It may well be "losing its grip" while in command-line interface (CLI) mode. This has happened to me.
    Okay, here is where I show my hardware ignorance .

    If by "USB mouse" you mean having tiny little holes for tiny little rods at the connection point, then yes, it is a "usb mouse".

    It is a 5 year old microsoft mouse I got with the gateway machine I have been using ( with Suse 7.2 ) until I got my new pc this weekend.

    I also noticed that the middle mouse button ( a clickable mouse wheel ) doesn't seem to work.

    Steve

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Royal Oak, Michigan USA
    Posts
    199

    Re: Losing Control Of The Mouse

    Quote Originally Posted by beforewisdom
    If by "USB mouse" you mean having tiny little holes for tiny little rods at the connection point... It is a 5 year old microsoft mouse...
    I apologize for assuming that you knew more than you do. As a computer tech, I try to avoid that! What you have is a "PS/2" mouse, so named because that style and connector were introduced with the IBM PS/2 series of computers in 1988. The connector is known as a "mini-DIN" -- a PS/2 keyboard (the current standard) uses the same connector.

    The Universal Serial Bus (USB) is a newer standard for peripherals that allows up to 127 devices to be hooked to one set of ports. One of its advantages is that it's "hot-pluggable" -- that is, devices can be connected or removed with the power on. Newer systems have 2 to 6 USB ports on-board. USB devices include mouses, scanners, printers, cameras, MP3 players, etc. The USB connector is a small, flattened rectangle. It's common, especially with newer systems, to have a PS/2 keyboard and a USB mouse, hence the assumption.

    Now, on to your problem. I don't know why your mouse does not work properly. I would, in fact, try a Logitech USB mouse. All types of Linux seem to like them, and you can often find them at substantial discounts. For example, I have paid as little as $2.00 for a surplus 2-button Logitech USB mouse branded I-opener. Besides, it never hurts to have a spare.

Similar Threads

  1. Linux may be losing this average Jill
    By nishtya in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 10-26-2004, 04:45 PM
  2. Mouse control
    By jbrush in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-15-2004, 12:29 AM
  3. Control Center settings won't work with USB Mouse
    By electronicjason in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-26-2003, 06:09 AM
  4. I keep losing my mouse! Post hd-install checklist?
    By FelixDzerzhinsky in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-06-2003, 12:14 AM
  5. Losing my USB keyboard
    By xeerex in forum General Support
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-08-2003, 07:40 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit picture

Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit

$99.99



A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G picture

A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G

$21.68



ADATA XPG Lancer Blade RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 Desktop RAM Black picture

ADATA XPG Lancer Blade RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 Desktop RAM Black

$429.94



Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC picture

Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC

$29.99



Patriot Viper Steel 64GB (2x32GB) DDR4-3600MHZ picture

Patriot Viper Steel 64GB (2x32GB) DDR4-3600MHZ

$350.00



DDR4 Laptop RAM 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB 2400 2666 3200 Samsung Hynix picture

DDR4 Laptop RAM 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB 2400 2666 3200 Samsung Hynix

$66.00



Samsung 64GB (2x32GB) 2Rx8 DDR4 PC4-3200AA RAM Memory laptop M471AG43AB1 picture

Samsung 64GB (2x32GB) 2Rx8 DDR4 PC4-3200AA RAM Memory laptop M471AG43AB1

$299.97



Samsung 16GB LPCAMM2 PC5 7500 DDR5 LPDDR5X CAMM2 M561K1LC4DM0-CCTGM RAM Memory picture

Samsung 16GB LPCAMM2 PC5 7500 DDR5 LPDDR5X CAMM2 M561K1LC4DM0-CCTGM RAM Memory

$189.00



NEW IN BOX - Corsair Vengeance RGB 32gb (2x16gb) DDR6200 CL36 CMH32GX5M2B6200C3 picture

NEW IN BOX - Corsair Vengeance RGB 32gb (2x16gb) DDR6200 CL36 CMH32GX5M2B6200C3

$550.00



LOT OF 4  Samsung 16GB DDR4-2666 ECC UDIMM 2Rx8 PC4-21300 M391A2K43BB1-CTDQ picture

LOT OF 4 Samsung 16GB DDR4-2666 ECC UDIMM 2Rx8 PC4-21300 M391A2K43BB1-CTDQ

$469.95