-
Junior Member
registered user
im trying to install debian im from the u.s and went to install mirror, and followed this: /dists/stable/main/disks-XXXX/ which one do i have to d-load i386, or alpha? (im trying to boot it from a floppy) and from there where do i go?
http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/
-
Senior Member
registered user
Although you're supposed to be able to install Debian fairly easilly over the network, I haven't tried it -- I just downloaded and burned the first 3 ISOs from a local Debian mirror. You boot off the first CD to start the installation. You need the i386 version.
-
Junior Member
registered user
all i do is just d-load the first 3 isos? and then what?
-
Junior Member
registered user
What is the i486SX chip you are currently using?
Is it a i486SX-25?
You never said what the clock speed was of your processor.
The reason I am asking is that I have a i486DX2-50 sitting in front of me.
It has 168 pins
It seems as though it would be compatible with a i486SX-25.
It runs with a system bus speed of 25Mhz
If the chip I have is compatible with your motherboard, then it is yours.
Please let me know if an i486DX2-50 will work with your mobo, and I will send it to you at no charge.
Please note that the chip is also untested, and I do not know if it will work.
You get what you pay for, I guess.
-
Junior Member
registered user
i wen to the site and downloaded the first three now what?
-
Junior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
eco2geek
Although you're supposed to be able to install Debian fairly easilly over the network, I haven't tried it -- I just downloaded and burned the first 3 ISOs from
a local Debian mirror. You boot off the first CD to start the installation. You need the i386 version.
I have a question i d-loaded the first one and its about 500 megs. how are three of them going to fit in one cd unless i use a dvd.? im not sure what to do.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Um, no offense meant, but you do realize that each of those ISOs are meant to be burned to a separate 700M blank CD-R, don't you?
Actually, I don't understand why you're so intent on using your old 486SX in the first place. IMHO, dealing with a modern Linux distro on a '486 (even a DX4/100) in anything but text mode can certainly be done, but it would be an exercize in frustration. Way too slow. I have Debian Woody on a P266 and it's frustratingly slow running X Windows.
But a computer with a ~500MHz CPU will run Knoppix just fine, from personal experience.
I don't know what country you live in, but in the US, old computers are plentiful and dirt cheap.
If your case is in good condition, you don't even have to buy a whole "new" computer. You could buy a used AT-style motherboard and a Pentium-level CPU from eBay for cheap and replace the 486 motherboard.
If you're in a hurry to install Knoppix, why don't you simply repartition the hard drive on the computer you're using now (which I assume is faster than a 486)? Or buy a second hard drive? Knoppix will fit on a ~5GB partition, which is tiny by today's standards.
Similar Threads
-
By bongski55 in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 4
Last Post: 11-15-2003, 10:19 AM
-
By Triple Six in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 2
Last Post: 04-15-2003, 04:23 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Vintage Rare California Computer Systems Boards for Altair IMSAI S-100 Systems
$345.00

Vintage Rare Cromemco Boards for Altair IMSAI S-100 Systems
$245.00

SSM IO-4 S100 I/O Interface Board 2-Serial 2-Parallel Altair IMSAI Untested
$119.99

MITS 88 SIOB Serial-TT, An Single Serial I/O Port S-100Board For the Altair 8800
$189.95

MITS ALTAIR 680b Turnkey Computer
$2550.00

MITS Altair 8800 4K RAM Board
$675.00

Vintage Octagon 256K Static RAM (32 x HM6264LP-12) Board S-100 Altair IMSAI
$150.00

S-100 Vector Graphic 64K Ram Board (Altair, IMSAI)
$99.95

CP/M 86 1.1R 8086 Highmonitor 8 Inch Floppy Diskette 80s IMSAI Altair
$29.99

ALTAIR Bitcoin Mining Solutions PDU IEC SERIES 100-250V 30A/24A Power Distribute
$99.00