Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 17 of 17

Thread: Is this a big problem?

  1. #11
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    inside your computer
    Posts
    20
    im trying to install debian im from the u.s and went to install mirror, and followed this: /dists/stable/main/disks-XXXX/ which one do i have to d-load i386, or alpha? (im trying to boot it from a floppy) and from there where do i go?

    http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/

  2. #12
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Portland, OR USA
    Posts
    568
    Although you're supposed to be able to install Debian fairly easilly over the network, I haven't tried it -- I just downloaded and burned the first 3 ISOs from a local Debian mirror. You boot off the first CD to start the installation. You need the i386 version.

  3. #13
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    inside your computer
    Posts
    20
    all i do is just d-load the first 3 isos? and then what?

  4. #14
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    13
    What is the i486SX chip you are currently using?
    Is it a i486SX-25?

    You never said what the clock speed was of your processor.

    The reason I am asking is that I have a i486DX2-50 sitting in front of me.
    It has 168 pins
    It seems as though it would be compatible with a i486SX-25.
    It runs with a system bus speed of 25Mhz


    If the chip I have is compatible with your motherboard, then it is yours.

    Please let me know if an i486DX2-50 will work with your mobo, and I will send it to you at no charge.

    Please note that the chip is also untested, and I do not know if it will work.

    You get what you pay for, I guess.


  5. #15
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    inside your computer
    Posts
    20
    i wen to the site and downloaded the first three now what?

  6. #16
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    inside your computer
    Posts
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by eco2geek
    Although you're supposed to be able to install Debian fairly easilly over the network, I haven't tried it -- I just downloaded and burned the first 3 ISOs from a local Debian mirror. You boot off the first CD to start the installation. You need the i386 version.
    I have a question i d-loaded the first one and its about 500 megs. how are three of them going to fit in one cd unless i use a dvd.? im not sure what to do.

  7. #17
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Portland, OR USA
    Posts
    568
    Um, no offense meant, but you do realize that each of those ISOs are meant to be burned to a separate 700M blank CD-R, don't you?

    Actually, I don't understand why you're so intent on using your old 486SX in the first place. IMHO, dealing with a modern Linux distro on a '486 (even a DX4/100) in anything but text mode can certainly be done, but it would be an exercize in frustration. Way too slow. I have Debian Woody on a P266 and it's frustratingly slow running X Windows.

    But a computer with a ~500MHz CPU will run Knoppix just fine, from personal experience.

    I don't know what country you live in, but in the US, old computers are plentiful and dirt cheap.

    If your case is in good condition, you don't even have to buy a whole "new" computer. You could buy a used AT-style motherboard and a Pentium-level CPU from eBay for cheap and replace the 486 motherboard.

    If you're in a hurry to install Knoppix, why don't you simply repartition the hard drive on the computer you're using now (which I assume is faster than a 486)? Or buy a second hard drive? Knoppix will fit on a ~5GB partition, which is tiny by today's standards.


Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. Problem Unique to Knoppix Later Versions!(SIS problem!)
    By bongski55 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-15-2003, 10:19 AM
  2. Wierd Problem With USB Keyboard, Maybe Motherboard Problem
    By Triple Six in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-15-2003, 04:23 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN

$125.00



pfSense Firewall 16-Core Atom C3958 8GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI VPN picture

pfSense Firewall 16-Core Atom C3958 8GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI VPN

$184.99



OPNsense pfSense 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB ECC RAM 512GB SSD 8-Port QAT AES-NI VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB ECC RAM 512GB SSD 8-Port QAT AES-NI VPN

$298.00



SonicWall TZ280 Firewall 03-SSC-6933 Advanced Edition 3YR NEW SEALED picture

SonicWall TZ280 Firewall 03-SSC-6933 Advanced Edition 3YR NEW SEALED

$999.99



Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F P24286-03-13 Network Firewall Security Appliance picture

Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F P24286-03-13 Network Firewall Security Appliance

$155.75



Palo Alto PA-220 Next-Gen Firewall 520-000309-00J picture

Palo Alto PA-220 Next-Gen Firewall 520-000309-00J

$40.00



Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F UTM UTP License Until 2027 Network Security FW VPN picture

Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F UTM UTP License Until 2027 Network Security FW VPN

$219.99



Protectli Vault FW4C-0-8-120 - 4 port, Quad Core, 8GB RAM, 128GB picture

Protectli Vault FW4C-0-8-120 - 4 port, Quad Core, 8GB RAM, 128GB

$180.00



NETGEAR ProSafe 8-Port Gigabit VPN Firewall FVS318G NEW IN BOX picture

NETGEAR ProSafe 8-Port Gigabit VPN Firewall FVS318G NEW IN BOX

$69.99



Cisco Meraki MX67-HW Security Appliance Firewall NEW Unused Unclaimed picture

Cisco Meraki MX67-HW Security Appliance Firewall NEW Unused Unclaimed

$202.50