Quote Originally Posted by dagwood
i would also prefer using grub but, my primary problem is getting LILO written to hda. i am forced to keep XP on my first drive (work) but use hdb for trying out different linux distros. knoppix copies over from disk to my hdb partitions just fine but i can't get it to boot even with the boot disk. not sure how to write a new lilo or grub to the mbr on hda. anyone have ideas. i'm this one problem away from being a Debian user (tried numerous others; Gentoo seems great but too difficult for my current expertise level). love the Knoppix live cd. runs pretty good as is but would like it on my system with a dual-boot option
I know this problem ...

It did cost me nerves ...

It was the BIOS it never booted the MBR, but the first partition directly ...

I did then move the WIN-XP to another partition ...

But I was able to boot from the grub-general-boot-disk:

My Partition was /dev/hda6 for linux ...

From knoppix I started:

grub-floppy /dev/fd0

Then I booted from that floppy and used the following commands:

root (hd0,5)
kernel /vmlinuz append="hdc=scsi hdd=scsi"
boot

It worked !

cu

Fabian