-
Senior Member
registered user
How to fix mount points
Hi;
I installed Knoppix 3.1 to a new hard drive on a new computer this weekend.
I don't have mount points.
When in KDE if I use Konqueror to view my file system and I go to /mnt I see icons for "hda1",
"hda6".
I don't see any icons for /floppy, or /cdrom.
How can I set up/fix the mount points?
There is some information in the FAQ, but not enough for me as an intermediate GNU/linux newbie.
The KDE is also missing the desktop floppy and cd icons that let people click on those icons and mount automatically.
How can I create them?
How can mount the cdrom drive, my dvdrom drive, and my floppy from a command prompt?
Is a dvdrom handled the same way as a cdrom in gnu/linux? I ask because I saw 2 icons labled
"cdrom" ( when running knoppix from cd ).
Thanks in advance for the info
Steve
-
You don't see any icons for /floppy, or /cdrom because Knoppix mounts them in the root "/" directory. You will see them there. Also look at your /etc/fstab file. It will show where and how they are mounted. i.e.:
/dev/fd0 /floppy vfat defaults,user,noauto,showexec,umask=022 0 0
/dev/cdrom /cdrom iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto 0 0
Because of the "noauto" option in the fsab file they are not automatically mounted on boot. Remove the "noauto" option to make them available.
The "Floppy disk" icon on the desktop points to the wrong mount point. Change its properties to reflect /floppy or change the mount point in fstab to /mnt/floppy.
I usually mount from the command line, i.e.:
mount /dev/cdrom /your/mount/point
Maybe someone else can help with KDE GUI mounting tools.
Good Luck!
Mike
-
Senior Member
registered user
All of that worked and settled the issue for me.
Thanks Mike!
Steve
Similar Threads
-
By ys0304 in forum Networking
Replies: 0
Last Post: 03-06-2005, 02:37 AM
-
By Jakykong in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 11-07-2004, 05:25 PM
-
By adotl in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 0
Last Post: 09-01-2004, 09:50 PM
-
By eSCHEn in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 14
Last Post: 03-22-2004, 01:07 AM
-
By pelican in forum General Support
Replies: 4
Last Post: 02-06-2004, 02:01 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD
$378.93

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb
$374.99

Dell PowerEdge R240 Intel Xeon E-2224 3.50GHz 8GB DDR4 ECC NO HDD 250W
$285.97

Dell Poweredge R810 4x Xeon X7560 2.26ghz 32-Cores | 256GB | 3x Trays | H700
$289.99

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD
$149.99

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$409.99

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$524.99

Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD
$99.99

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores | 32gb | HBA330 | 2x 1...
$324.99