Try this as root:
Code:chmod 755 /dev/dsp
Hello Gurus,
I have a sound card that is detected just fine by knoppix on a hard drive install and using the root account. Yet when I attempt to use sound as a normal user nothing works. No MP3, CD, etc.
Is there a setting that I need to get the sound to work?
Try this as root:
Code:chmod 755 /dev/dsp
![]()
Thanks so much! It works now! I really appreciate the kind assistance in keeping my home free from non-open source software.
Originally Posted by sgs9198
![]()
You're welcome.

Atari 800 XL 8-Bit Computer W/ Blue LED And S Video A/V Cable
$155.00
VTG Atari 600XL Home Computer System in Box ** Powers On ** Clean * Tested Works
$148.75
Happy 1050 Upgrade for Atari 1050 Disk Drive - Solderless Installation - HS/DD
$49.97
Atari 400 Home Computer System includes Power Cord G2U
$159.99
Atari 800XL Home Computer 64k with Original Box Tested/Working
$369.99
ATARI XF551 DISK DRIVE WITH AC POWER ADAPTER AND PARALLEL PORT ADAPTER, UNTESTED
$250.00
Vintage ATARI SF314 DS/DD 3.5" External Drive TESTED but can't read/write disks
$69.99
Fujinet 1.7.1 Atari 400 800 800XL 130XE 65XE XEGS Assembled, Tested, Working
$99.99
Atari 1050 Floppy Disk Drive Tested With All Cables Power And Data SIO In Box
$200.00
GreaseWeazle v4 board USB floppy drive adapter Retro All Formats
$35.00