Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: knoppix as a general purpose server

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    4

    knoppix as a general purpose server

    Is there any mini Knoppix variant out there that's more suitable for server purposes:

    - no need for desktop app. or even X windows
    - support more harddrive mount points (from reading doc., my understanding is that only /home is supported)
    - with enhanced security, e.g. with SELinux

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Paris, France
    Posts
    203

    I guess

    I once though of doing a remaster....

    question is do you want it to run from CD or HDD install ?

    if HDD install then a couple of mini deb's come to mind

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    4

    Re: I guess

    I would like to run the core from cd, then just install software I need on HD.

    Please give me some examples of mini deb's. Thanks!

  4. #4
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    35

    Re: knoppix as a general purpose server

    Quote Originally Posted by martinkong
    Is there any mini Knoppix variant out there that's more suitable for server purposes:

    - no need for desktop app. or even X windows
    - support more harddrive mount points (from reading doc., my understanding is that only /home is supported)
    - with enhanced security, e.g. with SELinux

    Thanks!
    I started out with Knoppix trying to do this. I gave up because the remaster was just too much of a PITA. I elected to switch to LiveCD http://livecd.berlios.de/. This allows you to install a Mandrake Linux version to your HD then make a live CD out of it.

    I now have a great setup:
    2.6.5 Kernel
    Apache 2
    Samba 3.0
    BincIMAP
    Getmail
    PureFTP
    DNSMasq for DNS and DHCP
    XFree running KDE
    Webmin

    And a whole bunch more. I run the OS from a CD and the data is saved to a HD. I have a small HD setup to write tmp files to and for symlinked config files. Once I get the config files setup the way I want I may (or may not) remove the small HD and make it all run off the CD. This way my data and OS are totally segragated.

    I think Knoppix is great - I use it as a rescue CD and have given it to many people who were itching to try Linux but scared. The remaster is just a lot harder than it should be. And YES - I did SEVERAL remasters - it just wasn't as easy as LiveCD.

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts
    1,256
    Sounds a lot like http://slax.linux-live.org/, anyone try making a liveCD distro like slax from an hd-installed system using http://www.linux-live.org/?

    I'm thinking of making my own liveCD distro this way by adding green thread enabled java to QUANTIAN so you can write, compile and execute multi-threaded java apps that automagically migrate over an openMOSIX cluster! OK, I'm copyrighting and trademarking the name of my distro right now: JORAX! Why? I don't know. Its got the j of java and the x of linux and I like scifi novels (ever read Kevin J. Anderson's "A Forest of Stars"?). Matbe THORAX, how's that (th of thread)?

    Just think, there's no remastering required! Just knoppix-install the distro you like. Then you remove and install what you wish and use the linux-live scripts. Presto-Chango, you've got your remaster without remastering!
    I guess you just have to be careful that the resulting ISO is less than 700MB....

    Is this for real???

    TIA,
    AJG

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    100

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Paris, France
    Posts
    203

    server distro's

    Ive seen a couple, best to look on distrowatch and read revviews though by people who actually used em not just read about em like me!

    http://www.trusteddebian.org/
    is a start ...

    but I use kanotix for HD installs .. its much cleaner as a HD install and if you remove the unstable tree from sources.list its an excellent base for an install....

    all the knoppix scripts from fabian et al are incredible,.like networking etc. but I found it a pain making em persistant on HD installed knoppix... and since you need a working <2000MB image to compress down to a CD it needs to work first...

    I really think if I was doing this i might start with kanotix and a HD install then remove X (and the deps should have the thing tiny after that)

    unfortuately youll lose some of the scripts when you do this since they use kommander and hence X ... but they are all easily modifyable and incredibly well documented!

    I had a working 3 interface system with Wifi/interal/external and firewall NAT across them.... however it was getting a lot of hassel playing with the init scrips and I didnt persist else Im sure it would have been nice...

    It would be really cool, just a server on a CD... and I'd add a USB key for settings..

Similar Threads

  1. Knoppix on a usb hard drive with my multimeida(dual purpose)
    By pembo13 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-06-2005, 06:54 PM
  2. For general purpose server
    By martinkong in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-23-2005, 08:27 PM
  3. New to Knoppix some general questions
    By Quip Frok in forum General Support
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-28-2004, 12:37 AM
  4. general knoppix questions, new user
    By ishaim in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-27-2004, 06:56 AM
  5. the general idea of knoppix?
    By SpankySTD in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-02-2004, 08:10 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray picture

(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray

$174.99



SGIN 17.3

SGIN 17.3" Laptop Intel Quad-Core Up to 2.4 GHZ 8GB RAM 256GB SSD HD

$229.99



AMD Ryzen 7 PRO 8700GE 8-Core/16-Thread Up to 5.1GHz AM5 (FL1) picture

AMD Ryzen 7 PRO 8700GE 8-Core/16-Thread Up to 5.1GHz AM5 (FL1)

$189.00



Dell T7810 Workstation 8-Core 2.40GHz E5-2630 v3 No RAM GPU HDD OS picture

Dell T7810 Workstation 8-Core 2.40GHz E5-2630 v3 No RAM GPU HDD OS

$259.98



Apple Macbook Pro 13

Apple Macbook Pro 13" M1 8-Core 16GB 512GB - Good

$464.99



Intel Xeon E5 - 2667V2  / SR19W   3.30GHz 25MB  8-Core CPU Socket LGA2011 picture

Intel Xeon E5 - 2667V2 / SR19W 3.30GHz 25MB 8-Core CPU Socket LGA2011

$30.00



AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 4.20GHz Quad Core 100-000000510 8 Thread AM4 picture

AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 4.20GHz Quad Core 100-000000510 8 Thread AM4

$279.99



AMD Ryzen 7 9700X 8-Core 16-Thread 40MB Cache Socket AM5 9000 Series Processor picture

AMD Ryzen 7 9700X 8-Core 16-Thread 40MB Cache Socket AM5 9000 Series Processor

$245.99



Lenovo ThinkStation P520 Intel Xeon W-2245 8-Core 3.90GHz - NO RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS picture

Lenovo ThinkStation P520 Intel Xeon W-2245 8-Core 3.90GHz - NO RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS

$359.98



DELL Optiplex 780 SFF CORE2DUO 3.0GHz 8GB RAM 250GB HDDDVDRW NO OS picture

DELL Optiplex 780 SFF CORE2DUO 3.0GHz 8GB RAM 250GB HDDDVDRW NO OS

$99.99