Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: trouble remastering: "No suitable X-Server"

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    8

    trouble remastering: "No suitable X-Server"

    Hi,
    I'm trying to learn to remaster Knoppix and I'm having some trouble..
    I follow the steps from: http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.ph...masteringHowto

    it looks as if it works and it creates the iso without indicating any errors.
    but whether I remove packages or not, when I burn the iso and boot from the new CD ( or try to boot the iso from the hard-disk using the bootfrom cheat-code ) it gets stuck at the grey X screen. when pressing ctl-alt-backspace I see this:
    Starting X11.../etc/init.d/xsession: line 202: 440 Bus error
    Display=:0 xloadimage -onroot -fullscreen -shrink -smooth -border black -quiet $BACKGROUND >/dev/null 2>&1

    this error is repeated about 20 times with only the 440 replaced by other numbers: 451, 455 etc ( forgive me if there is a typo in the error as I could not copy and paste )
    after that it sais: Error: No suitable X-Server found for your card.

    the orginal Knoppix CD works ok on my machine, I only get this when I try to remaster.

    Any help will be appriciated,

    Thanks,

    Oded.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    981

    Re: trouble remastering: "No suitable X-Server"

    Quote Originally Posted by oded
    Hi,
    I'm trying to learn to remaster Knoppix and I'm having some trouble..
    I follow the steps from: http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.ph...masteringHowto

    it looks as if it works and it creates the iso without indicating any errors.
    but whether I remove packages or not, when I burn the iso and boot from the new CD ( or try to boot the iso from the hard-disk using the bootfrom cheat-code ) it gets stuck at the grey X screen. when pressing ctl-alt-backspace I see this:
    Starting X11.../etc/init.d/xsession: line 202: 440 Bus error
    Display=:0 xloadimage -onroot -fullscreen -shrink -smooth -border black -quiet $BACKGROUND >/dev/null 2>&1

    this error is repeated about 20 times with only the 440 replaced by other numbers: 451, 455 etc ( forgive me if there is a typo in the error as I could not copy and paste )
    after that it sais: Error: No suitable X-Server found for your card.

    the orginal Knoppix CD works ok on my machine, I only get this when I try to remaster.

    Any help will be appriciated,

    Thanks,

    Oded.
    It sounds like your XF86Config is not setting up properly. Try booting your remaster 'knoppix 2' then delete /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 then run 'mkxf86config' which should make a new XF86Config-4.
    Before you burn your remaster you have to delete XF86Config-4, mkxf86config will not make one if there is existing.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    8
    It works.

    Thanks,

    Oded.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    8
    hmm,

    booting with knoppix 2, and deleting XF86Config-4 enabled to boot my remastred cd, however now that I wanted to make a new one I see that this file does not exist in the source directory for the remaster! Which means that it is created while the CD boot's.

    How can I fix that?

    Thanks,

    Oded.

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    981
    Quote Originally Posted by oded
    hmm,

    booting with knoppix 2, and deleting XF86Config-4 enabled to boot my remastred cd, however now that I wanted to make a new one I see that this file does not exist in the source directory for the remaster! Which means that it is created while the CD boot's.

    How can I fix that?

    Thanks,

    Oded.
    This should be OK. You should have a XF86Config-4.in which is the 'master' but I think the 45xsession script is able to create a XF86Config-4 even without the 'master'.

Similar Threads

  1. Please help: Trouble with creating "home" on hardd
    By LinhChau in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-20-2005, 05:10 AM
  2. Xlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by server
    By LeManu in forum General Support
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 05-20-2004, 10:19 PM
  3. Remastering from "Knoppix" style hard disk install
    By Bukowski in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-19-2004, 01:57 PM
  4. My "Nearly Noiseless Knoppix Server" using a CF dr
    By seadawg in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-20-2003, 05:58 PM
  5. "Error: No suitable X-Server found for your card"
    By iss in forum General Support
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-16-2003, 02:18 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN

$145.00



OPNsense Firewall 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI picture

OPNsense Firewall 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI

$195.00



Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet picture

Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet

$147.00



Check Point 1590 Firewall & w builtin WiFI and builtin LTE sim slot picture

Check Point 1590 Firewall & w builtin WiFI and builtin LTE sim slot

$95.99



Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F UTM UTP License Until 2027 Network Security FW VPN picture

Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F UTM UTP License Until 2027 Network Security FW VPN

$229.99



Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F Firewall Tested Reset Deregistered OEM PSU picture

Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F Firewall Tested Reset Deregistered OEM PSU

$99.99



OPNsense pfSense 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB ECC RAM 512GB SSD 8-Port QAT AES-NI VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB ECC RAM 512GB SSD 8-Port QAT AES-NI VPN

$258.00



Netgate SG-2100 pfSense Plus 26.07 Firewall VPN Router - Wiped, Fresh Install picture

Netgate SG-2100 pfSense Plus 26.07 Firewall VPN Router - Wiped, Fresh Install

$174.99



Unfi Security Gateway Pro picture

Unfi Security Gateway Pro

$170.00



Alta Labs Route10 10Gbps Router Firewall 2x SFP+ 4x 2.5GbE 2x PoE+ picture

Alta Labs Route10 10Gbps Router Firewall 2x SFP+ 4x 2.5GbE 2x PoE+

$174.99