-
trouble remastering: "No suitable X-Server"
Hi,
I'm trying to learn to remaster Knoppix and I'm having some trouble..
I follow the steps from: http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.ph...masteringHowto
it looks as if it works and it creates the iso without indicating any errors.
but whether I remove packages or not, when I burn the iso and boot from the new CD ( or try to boot the iso from the hard-disk using the bootfrom cheat-code ) it gets stuck at the grey X screen. when pressing ctl-alt-backspace I see this:
Starting X11.../etc/init.d/xsession: line 202: 440 Bus error
Display=:0 xloadimage -onroot -fullscreen -shrink -smooth -border black -quiet $BACKGROUND >/dev/null 2>&1
this error is repeated about 20 times with only the 440 replaced by other numbers: 451, 455 etc ( forgive me if there is a typo in the error as I could not copy and paste )
after that it sais: Error: No suitable X-Server found for your card.
the orginal Knoppix CD works ok on my machine, I only get this when I try to remaster.
Any help will be appriciated,
Thanks,
Oded.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: trouble remastering: "No suitable X-Server"

Originally Posted by
oded
Hi,
I'm trying to learn to remaster Knoppix and I'm having some trouble..
I follow the steps from:
http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.ph...masteringHowto
it looks as if it works and it creates the iso without indicating any errors.
but whether I remove packages or not, when I burn the iso and boot from the new CD ( or try to boot the iso from the hard-disk using the bootfrom cheat-code ) it gets stuck at the grey X screen. when pressing ctl-alt-backspace I see this:
Starting X11.../etc/init.d/xsession: line 202: 440 Bus error
Display=:0 xloadimage -onroot -fullscreen -shrink -smooth -border black -quiet $BACKGROUND >/dev/null 2>&1
this error is repeated about 20 times with only the 440 replaced by other numbers: 451, 455 etc ( forgive me if there is a typo in the error as I could not copy and paste )
after that it sais: Error: No suitable X-Server found for your card.
the orginal Knoppix CD works ok on my machine, I only get this when I try to remaster.
Any help will be appriciated,
Thanks,
Oded.
It sounds like your XF86Config is not setting up properly. Try booting your remaster 'knoppix 2' then delete /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 then run 'mkxf86config' which should make a new XF86Config-4.
Before you burn your remaster you have to delete XF86Config-4, mkxf86config will not make one if there is existing.
-
-
hmm,
booting with knoppix 2, and deleting XF86Config-4 enabled to boot my remastred cd, however now that I wanted to make a new one I see that this file does not exist in the source directory for the remaster! Which means that it is created while the CD boot's.
How can I fix that?
Thanks,
Oded.
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
oded
hmm,
booting with knoppix 2, and deleting XF86Config-4 enabled to boot my remastred cd, however now that I wanted to make a new one I see that this file does not exist in the source directory for the remaster! Which means that it is created while the CD boot's.
How can I fix that?
Thanks,
Oded.
This should be OK. You should have a XF86Config-4.in which is the 'master' but I think the 45xsession script is able to create a XF86Config-4 even without the 'master'.
Similar Threads
-
By LinhChau in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 1
Last Post: 01-20-2005, 05:10 AM
-
By LeManu in forum General Support
Replies: 9
Last Post: 05-20-2004, 10:19 PM
-
By Bukowski in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 1
Last Post: 01-19-2004, 01:57 PM
-
By seadawg in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 09-20-2003, 05:58 PM
-
By iss in forum General Support
Replies: 7
Last Post: 06-16-2003, 02:18 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Lot of 500 Cisco 10-3145-02 QSFP-100G-CWDM4-S 100G CWDM4 QSFP28 Transceiver
$1500.00

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch
$129.99

Cisco 8-Port Ethernet Catalyst Switch - WS-C2960C-8TC-L - Brand New
$50.00

2 PACK Cisco AIR-AP2802I-B-K9 Aironet 2802 Series Dual Band Access Point
$19.85

CISCO Services Router C891F-K9, Grade B, SKU 16188
$24.94

Cisco Meraki MS130-48P-HW 48-Port Gigabit PoE+ Cloud Manage UNCLAIMED Lot of 10
$22000.00

Cisco C9300L-STACK-KIT V02 Stack
$190.00

Cisco Nexus N9K-C92160YC-X 48P 25GbE SFP28 6P QSFP+/QSFP28 PE Switch
$439.00

Cisco Catalyst WS-C2960+24TC-S 24-Port Gigabit Managed SFP Switch
$39.99

Cisco Catalyst 2960x (WS-C2960X-48FPD-L) 48 Port POE Rack Mount Switch Brand New
$399.99