-
Junior Member
registered user
Upgrading Kernel Troubles
Quite a long time ago, I installed my Debian system via Knoppix 3.3.
Since then, I've upgraded and what not many many times- my system, for example, is now mainly unstable packages, including KDE 3.2.2, which I love.
The only thing I haven't been able to upgrade is my kernel. I'm wondering if any baggage from Knoppix has to do with it. Or perhaps because it's a 2.6 kernel.
Specifically:
1. I apt-get install an appropriate kernel-image (kernel-image-2.6.6-1-686), it installs fine.
2. I edit Lilo to include the new kernel, pointing vmlinuz and initrd to the right locations. I update lilo.
3. I reboot. Lilo menu shows my new kernel choices.
4. I select the new kernel.
5. Lilo informs me that the kernel loaded successfully.
6. Screen goes blank, never changes.
Any clue what could be happening? I previously tested a different 2.4 kernel, which boats fine (although I never got X working on it).
Thank you for any help steering me in the right direction.
--Paradox
Similar Threads
-
By mkyb14 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 5
Last Post: 12-16-2004, 11:03 PM
-
By Stealth870 in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 08-16-2004, 12:23 AM
-
By The_Martian in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 3
Last Post: 07-17-2004, 12:42 AM
-
By Ander in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 01-11-2004, 01:49 AM
-
By Joe999 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 11-14-2003, 06:37 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP, (6 CDS)
$10.00

KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit
$19.99

Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive
$5.99

KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED
$11.99

VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION)
$7.57

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 16G USB Stick
$20.85

Knoppix NSM 1.2
$8.00

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 32G USB Stick
$21.42

Hamshack Live DVD-ROM
$7.00

Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006
$34.01