hi,
I'm also trying to install the kernel-image with apt-get. I installed all the packages mentionned above, changed vga=(a number) to vga=normal and changed my lilo.conf making the new kernel selectable at boot.

But there are problems...when the kernel is loading I get a message like this:
Code:
 Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount fs on unknown-block(3,8)
It's also saying that I must check the root="" in my lilo.conf, but that seems to be ok. The 3 and the 8 are also the right numbers since I installed Knoppix to hda8.

If you have a i810 video chipset you may need to compile your own kernel due to a experimental,... hmm, what was it now,.. ummm.. some kernel module that is incompatible with i810.
I have no i810 video chipset but my audio is. Could this be the problem? Or is there just something wrong with my lilo.conf? Can you post your working lilo.conf Paradox...plz?

thx,
F.