G'day,
I'm a noob to Linux.
I've been looking through the forums, using search, etc. and still have not been able to resolve my issue. Any help would be appreciated.
I have a Compaq NC6000 laptop with a built-in 10/100 Nic, and a built-in 802.11a/b/g card. I purchased a Linksys WPC11 v.4 PCMCIA card after finding out that Linux drivers were probably going to be very hard to come by for the Compaq card. I bought the Linksys card specifically because I understood that it's drivers were already in Knoppix.
The system normally runs XPP and I am booting Knoppix from a CD. During the boot process I notice that the system does see that there is a PCMCIA card inserted and the system starts the Card Manager.
When I run Ifconfig -a the 10/100 NIC is located at eth0, no other NIC listed.
When I run Iwconfig -a the internal card is located at ath0. No other NIC listed.
The system never seems to recognize the PCMCIA card as being WLAN.
Running WLcardconfig tries to configure the internal card which, unfortunately, I cannot turn on in Knoppix.
What am I doing wrong?
Also, any chance of use WPA instead of WEP?
Thanks,
Ski

Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit
$99.99
(LOT of 8) Samsung 32GB 2Rx4 PC4-2666V-RB2-12 DDR4 Cisco Server RAM Tested 100%
$1299.99
Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16 CMK32GX4M2E3200C16
$159.99
Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC
$29.99
A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G
$21.68
16GB Total of SK hynix PC3L-12800S 2 sticks of 8GB each = 16GB Laptop Memory
$27.95
Samsung 8GB DDR4 SO-DIMM PC4-3200AA 260-Pin RAM M471A1G44BB0-CWE Module
$29.25
RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED
$445.00
Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4x8GB) RAM DDR4 3000MHz CMK32GX4M4C3000C15
$139.99
16GB DDR3 RAM Upgrade Kit (2x8GB) for MacBook Pro, iMac & Mac Mini - 1333MHz PC3
$77.99