Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Save Config settings

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    9

    Save Config settings

    Hi;
    I am trying to get Knoppix to save my config settings with a 3.3 Hdd install.

    I can't save any monitor settings it just refuses to do anything except 640x480 eventhough I used 800x600 when I did the install. I can't save the settings in Konqueror it also refuses. I can save both while running from CD and get Knoppix to use my settings by using knoppix save config or using cheat codes.

    I have searched on this subject and all I can find are the topics on saving settings running from CD and or using cheat codes. I apolozgize if I missed something or overlooked the topic on saving config settings on a Hdd install.

    If someone could point me to a tutorial or something I would appreciate it.

    Thanks
    Dooley

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    692
    Hello again.

    Just a thought - what type of HD install did you do? If you did a "poor man's" or "beginner's", all that does is to copy the default CD image onto the HD, so that the same image just keeps loading over and over with each reboot, ignoring all changes you may have made. OTOH, if you used "knoppix-installer" or "knx-hdinstall" or "knx2hd", these should have essentially done a debian install, in which you change the installation as you change it (sorry, Yogi).

    It's kind of misleading that these "meta-installations" are called hd installs, but that's the only thing I can think of to cause this. In all fairness, I haven't done a HD install or any type from Knoppix, so I'm just offering conjecture on the basis of what I've read on this site, rather than experience. Perhaps if you detail the installation approach you took, someone who knows better than I do can offer more meaningful help and experience.

    JD

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    9

    Save Config settings

    Quote Originally Posted by j.drake
    Hello again.

    Just a thought - what type of HD install did you do? If you did a "poor man's" or "beginner's", all that does is to copy the default CD image onto the HD, so that the same image just keeps loading over and over with each reboot, ignoring all changes you may have made. OTOH, if you used "knoppix-installer" or "knx-hdinstall" or "knx2hd", these should have essentially done a debian install, in which you change the installation as you change it (sorry, Yogi).

    It's kind of misleading that these "meta-installations" are called hd installs, but that's the only thing I can think of to cause this. In all fairness, I haven't done a HD install or any type from Knoppix, so I'm just offering conjecture on the basis of what I've read on this site, rather than experience. Perhaps if you detail the installation approach you took, someone who knows better than I do can offer more meaningful help and experience.

    JD
    Thank you for your reply JD.
    I moved this to this forum per your suggestion but I guess it is either something which has been asked about numerious times or no one seems to know the answer.

    I am very new to Linux and I don't know a rich mans from a poor mans install. I just loaded the CD and when it came to the boot screen, I used the cheat code to change the monitor res. and when it fully loaded I brought up a shell ternimal and used "knx-hdinstall", partitioned the drive with a swap and a linux partition, and it started copying the files to the HD. It never asked if I wanted to do anything different, maybe I should have known something I didn't know about the process maybe I need to reinstall with a different process. I have no idea where to get a tutorial or anything on the process and really don't know enough to know where to look.

    I have been using Windows since 3.1 but I never tried to change any files as I have also been told that was a no no. I don't mean to sound stupid but I am when it comes to messing with files and things.

    Any suggestions would be appreciated.

    Thanks,
    Dooley

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    692
    Well, if it's been asked before, I sure haven't seen the answer, so my guess is that folks are scratching their heads. I wish I knew what to tell you, but you have more experience at HD installs than I do!! Somehow, it sounds to me as if your HD installation is being treated as if it were a CD. On a "poor man's" or "beginner" install, this is done purposefully in order to provide some of the advantages of a HD install (e.g., faster seek time, easier saving of data, freeing up the CD drive) without the disadvantage of having something which might accidentally get goofed up. But, from what I understand, you did what you needed to do to get a real, honest-to-gosh HD install. I guess in the meantime you could experiment to use the "save Knoppix configuration" option that's intended for live-CD users, and see if that would help. You shouldn't have to use that, but at least it might relieve some frustration until you find a fix.

    Hopefully someone will rescue you soon. At any rate, I bumped your thread for you. Good luck, and sorry I couldn't help.

    JD

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Kampen, The Netherlands
    Posts
    166
    One way to save monitor settings is via the console as root: type "/usr/bin/kxconfig"

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    692
    Well, I just learned some stuff here:

    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...?p=51820#51820

    As you can see, I still have some questions, but I still think that the install you did is not a full-blown install. Sounds like you might need the Debian-style install for permanent configuration, and that what you don't want is Knoppix-style, as it sounds like you'll just keep going through the same detection problem with each reboot.

Similar Threads

  1. How do i save my settings?
    By ricesteam in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-03-2005, 07:31 PM
  2. cannot save the config
    By linksta in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-06-2004, 10:27 PM
  3. Can't save any config settings
    By Dooley in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-10-2004, 03:52 PM
  4. How to rename the knoppix account and save all settings
    By Kethinov in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-22-2003, 10:24 PM
  5. Save hardware settings to a file for use with other distros?
    By dokzeus in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-06-2003, 02:22 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray picture

(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray

$174.99



AMD Ryzen 7 PRO 8700GE 8-Core/16-Thread Up to 5.1GHz AM5 (FL1) picture

AMD Ryzen 7 PRO 8700GE 8-Core/16-Thread Up to 5.1GHz AM5 (FL1)

$189.00



SGIN 17.3

SGIN 17.3" Laptop Intel Quad-Core Up to 2.4 GHZ 8GB RAM 256GB SSD HD

$229.99



Dell OptiPlex 5070 SFF i7-9700 (8-Core) 3.0GHz 16GB 256 SSD Windows 11 picture

Dell OptiPlex 5070 SFF i7-9700 (8-Core) 3.0GHz 16GB 256 SSD Windows 11

$250.00



AMD Ryzen 7 9800X3D 8-Core 16-Thread AM5 Zen 5 Desktop Processor NEW picture

AMD Ryzen 7 9800X3D 8-Core 16-Thread AM5 Zen 5 Desktop Processor NEW

$399.00



Dell OptiPlex 3070 SFF Desktop Intel Core i3 9th gen 8gb RAM 128gb NVMe win11pro picture

Dell OptiPlex 3070 SFF Desktop Intel Core i3 9th gen 8gb RAM 128gb NVMe win11pro

$79.99



Apple Macbook Pro 13

Apple Macbook Pro 13" M1 8-Core 16GB 512GB - Good

$464.99



AMD Ryzen Threadripper PRO 3945WX 12-Core 4.0GHz sWRX8 CPU NEW Tray Unlocked picture

AMD Ryzen Threadripper PRO 3945WX 12-Core 4.0GHz sWRX8 CPU NEW Tray Unlocked

$79.99



Home Assistant Server | 8GB RAM | 128GB SSD | Intel i5 Quad-Core | Dell OptiPlex picture

Home Assistant Server | 8GB RAM | 128GB SSD | Intel i5 Quad-Core | Dell OptiPlex

$159.99



Dell Latitude 5420 14

Dell Latitude 5420 14" - Core i5-1145G7 - 8GB - 256GB SSD Win 11 Pro - WARRANTY

$276.35