Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Cant get proper screen display ! Please help

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    16

    Cant get proper screen display ! Please help

    Can anyone help with this one ?
    I've installed Knoppix 3.1 to a new hard drive, with primary and swap partitions.
    However on rebooting my system can't boot directly from H/D but can using the boot floppy disk created during the setup procedure.
    Also I cannot get a decent screen display now using the 'fb800x600 command'.
    The Knoppix bootup screen seems to have separated into three(3) screens which are totally unreadable and even when I manage to login the display I can just about make out appears to be in German.
    I've tried resetting my boot sequence in the bios but no difference.
    Should I be using the boot floppy at all, as I thought the system files should be read from the new hard drive.
    Should I be using a particular command at the boot prompt to get the hard drive to mount or am I just missing something critical here ?
    Any help gratefully received for this newbie to Linux.
    Thanks

    Alex

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Royal Oak, Michigan USA
    Posts
    199

    Re: Can't get proper screen display!

    Quote Originally Posted by Alex1
    Can anyone help with this one?... I cannot get a decent screen display now using the 'fb800x600 command'... The Knoppix bootup screen seems to have separated into three (3) screens which are totally unreadable... Thanks
    This is a common problem with liquid crystal display (LCD) and some older CRT monitors due to an incompatible scan/refresh rate. What video card and monitor are you running? Have you tried the [Ctrl]-[Alt]-[+] or [Ctrl]-[Alt]-[-] key combinations (the +/- keys on the keypad) to change screen resolutions on-the-fly?

    More information, as outlined above, would be useful.

    You're welcome.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    However on rebooting my system can't boot directly from H/D but can using the boot floppy disk created during the setup procedure.
    You need to install LILO the boot manager to the master boot record. Read this:
    http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/mini/LILO.html

    Also I cannot get a decent screen display now using the 'fb800x600 command'.
    I assume that when you booted it from the CD passing 'fb800x600' made it work correctly? Unfortunately Knoppix is not capable of invoking the same change when you install it. To change it do this:

    At the command prompt type:

    cd /etc
    mcedit XF86Config

    If that doesn't work try this:

    cd /etc/X11
    mcedit XF86Config

    *NOTE* XF86Config may actually be called XF86Config-4

    Look at the XF86Config file. It contains all relevant settings for your video card, monitor, keyboard, mouse, etc. You will need to make sure that your screen sizes include "800x600". If you are unfamiliar with XFree86 I suggest you go here:
    http://www.xfree86.org/

Similar Threads

  1. Out-of-whack screen display
    By Ark in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 11-16-2004, 08:46 AM
  2. Problems with Garbled SCREEN display after boot from CD
    By WirelessTechRadio in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-10-2004, 08:28 PM
  3. No display after boot screen
    By Tets in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-23-2003, 10:23 PM
  4. Getting full screen display
    By bigd652 in forum General Support
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-21-2003, 07:27 PM
  5. My screen display is ghosted !
    By Alex1 in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-22-2003, 10:59 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP,  (6 CDS) picture

Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP, (6 CDS)

$10.00



KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit picture

KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit

$19.99



KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED picture

KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED

$11.99



Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive picture

Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive

$5.99



Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 16G USB Stick

$20.85



Knoppix NSM 1.2 picture

Knoppix NSM 1.2

$8.00



VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION) picture

VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION)

$7.57



Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 32G USB Stick

$21.42



Hamshack Live DVD-ROM picture

Hamshack Live DVD-ROM

$7.00



Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006 picture

Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006

$33.98