-
Re: Knoppix for Windows Users

Originally Posted by
j.drake
If you don't like this position then flame away, I'm a lot thicker skinned than some of the linux techweenies around here. If you agree then lets get going on a windows migration exchange among windows knowledgable folks.
<>
2. Don't know how long you've been lurking at this site (well, actually I guess I do, because from your profile it looks like you joined less than a week ago), but I hope that you haven't gotten your prejudices about linux geeks here. I've been here about a year, now, and for the most part, I've found people here to be extremely helpful and patient. When they aren't patient, it's because the problem isn't described specifically enough to allow anyone to help. If you drew your perceptions somewhere else, give this site a chance. There's very little flaming here, and very little of the "RTFM" mentality.
I couldn't agree more. This is the most civilized forum I've seen. Most of the posters seem to know how to spell, or at least know how to use a spell-checker, and there always seems to be someone willing to try to help - if the question can be understood.

Originally Posted by
j.drake
3. As a new linux user from Windows, I WANTED help from experienced people. If Eadz desires to incorporate your suggestion into his site (and it is his site, after all) I would suggest, as someone in the middle, that experienced Linux users NOT be excluded from helping if they wish to, PROVIDED THAT they agree to do so in a way that doesn't exhibit the arrogance you describe. No MS or Windows bashing, for example. No "RTFM". No answers consisting simply of a link to the "How to ask intelligent questions" site. Frankly, I don't think that experienced Linux users with the arrogance you describe WANT to help people who don't want their help, and will be more than happy to stay away if the poster simply says so in the title of the post (e.g., no experienced replies, please). I really think that a newbie section makes a lot of sense, and the folks who are rabidly into Linux won't be annoyed by reading through posts that try their patience.
JD
Again I couldn't agree more, though it would be nice if previous questions and answers were catalogued so that someone who wants to answer a question can quickly find out if there is a relevant post, and link to it in his or her reply. I know, I know; that's what the FAQ is supposed to be for, but I've spent many a frustrating and fruitless hour searching through FAQs that don't seem to be in any order, with no way to find out if my question is in there except to read every single entry. I'm talking about an indexed database which includes every question posted in this forum, arranged and cross-referenced by topic, with links to what seem to be the clearest answers. Impossible dream? Maybe. Still it would make this forum infinitely better, don't you think?
I do want to thank everyone involved with this forum for being so helpful and and patient. You guys are the best.
Similar Threads
-
By frantek in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 6
Last Post: 08-18-2004, 12:18 AM
-
By Lucia in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 1
Last Post: 08-16-2004, 12:11 AM
-
By empanyc in forum General Support
Replies: 4
Last Post: 04-01-2004, 10:23 AM
-
By ted_munga in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 50
Last Post: 11-09-2003, 09:03 PM
-
By Henk Poley in forum The Lounge
Replies: 2
Last Post: 04-06-2003, 03:32 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot
$285.90

Micron MTA36ASF2G72PZ-2G1B1 16GB DDR4 2RX4 PC4-2133P-RBB-11 Server Memory RAM
$70.00

SMART(Micron)SafeStor 32GB(1X32GB) 1RX4 NN4-3200AA(DDR4) HPE Server Memory
$159.98

Samsung 32GBX2 1Rx4 PC4-3200AA DDR4 ECC Server Memory M393A4G40AB3-CWEBQ 64GB EC
$370.00

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack
$826.09

32GB Micron MTA36ASF4G72PZ-2G6E1RK PC4-2666V DDR4 RDIMM Server Memory
$118.00

A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G
$21.68

Kingbox 64GB (2x32GB) DDR4 3200MHz SODIMM Laptop RAM Memory
$369.99

RDIMM MICRON DDR5 SERVER MEMORY 1x16 Sticks 5600 RAM
$449.00

TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot
$573.98