Yesterday I tried Knoppix 3.1 on my Gericom Laptop. It works fine. Only one Problem. If I started a track in XMMS , then the player works und the equalizer in the display plays but I didnīt hear the sound. Can somebody help me?
Yesterday I tried Knoppix 3.1 on my Gericom Laptop. It works fine. Only one Problem. If I started a track in XMMS , then the player works und the equalizer in the display plays but I didnīt hear the sound. Can somebody help me?
Look off the Kmenu -> Multimedia -> Kmix that will put the mixer (speaker icon) in the system tray right click and choose show mixer window and check for muted volume.
I have a NEC versa laptop, which is like the gericom ( same chips and stuff - Is yours as loud as mine? ).
Now, I don't know if this is going to work for you, but it worked for me, open kmix, and just adjust the volume. My sound didn't work until I did that.
And also, try Knoppix 3.2 becasue it has better hardware support, esp for soundcards.
Hi,
I have an Advent 6417 laptop (built by Gericom) and it used to be quite difficult to get support for some of the hardware, but not anymore! Knoppix correctly detects and configures everything in my laptop but just for reference here's some tips 'n' tricks i learned:
SiS 7012 (soundcard) -
Use the trident module (modprobe trident)
SiS 630 (Graphics) -
Very patchy support before XFree86 4.0, 4.0 and greater have no problems with this but 3.3.6 was very annoying! It has something to do with the bridge between the card and the LCD in my laptop, symptoms are a screen that does a nice "melting" effect on starting X. Solution, add "vga=791" into /etc/lilo.conf and do a /sbin/lilo. I know this isn't quite relevant to the LiveCD but maybe to guys using the HD install? As i say, XFree86 4.0 and better have little problems here!
SmartLink56K Winmodem -
The SM56K is a winmodembut thankfully the guys at SM have released nice stable linux drivers, full instructions and code etc. and http://www.smlink.com. There were old beta drivers kicking about approx. 1 year ago, but i had no luck with these!
Hope this stuff helps someone!
i have run sndconfig and as peza18 said i use a trident module
and he give me an error :
There are already sound config options in /etc/modules.conf
This could give unexpected results.
Please remove the appropriate entries from /etc/modutils/*
how i do that, im new in linux,,,
thanks

Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p
$499.88
Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00
Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb
$374.99
Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD
$378.93
Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD
$149.99
Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$409.99
Dell PowerEdge R730 8 Bay Server 64Gb 1x80Gb SSD 3x900Gb SAS 2x12c v4CPU Proxmox
$620.00
Dell Poweredge R810 4x Xeon X7560 2.26ghz 32-Cores | 256GB | 3x Trays | H700
$289.99
Dell Poweredge R620 10x 2.5" bay with 256GB (16x16gb) DDR3, 2x E5-2690v2, H710
$349.99
Dell Poweredge C4130 2x LGA2011-3 1U 4x GPU Rackmount Server CTO (NO CPU/NO RAM)
$299.95