Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: HP zv5000t...3.6 hangs on boot...

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Glendale, Arizona, USA
    Posts
    5

    HP zv5000t...3.6 hangs on boot...

    Boot gets to CD ROM /dev/scd0 and hangs. Any ideas?

    I did notice it supports hyperthreading, that's awesome!


  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Glendale, Arizona, USA
    Posts
    5

    More info...

    I can get it to work if I use "failsafe" without "knoppix" before it, but that doesn't help detect any hardware.

    Thanks in advance.

  3. #3
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441

    Re: HP zv5000t...3.6 hangs on boot...

    Quote Originally Posted by milkmood
    Boot gets to CD ROM /dev/scd0 and hangs. Any ideas?
    :
    I have an HP notebook (not that model) that used to boot Knoppix fine, but the same CD's will no longer boot on it. See these threads for that issue:
    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...er=asc&start=0
    and
    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...er=asc&start=0

    Also, I found that with newer versions of Knoppix I need some cheat codes or it hangs with a blank screen during the boot. If you are getting far enough to enter cheat codes (I can't tell quite how far you are getting from your post) try
    Code:
    knoppix noscsi acpi=off
    or
    Code:
    knoppix26 noscsi acpi=off

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Glendale, Arizona, USA
    Posts
    5

    Clarification...

    Sorry, I was a little vague in my original post.

    I can get it to boot to the boot screen where I can enter cheatcodes. I've tried several combinations of cheatcodes from the TXT file, and the only thing I can get to work is 'failsafe' without 'knoppix' in front of it.

    If I boot any other way, it will begin to boot, it detects the firewire, usb, etc., then it lists the hard drive, the DVD-ROM drive. The next line says 'Looking for CD-ROM at /dev/scd0' or something like that. That's where it hangs.

    It doesn't do me much good to boot into failsafe for detecting hardware. I'm ultimately needing it to detect my built in WiFi, and I can't even get to the point where it can detect it.

    I'll try the two options above and let you know.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Glendale, Arizona, USA
    Posts
    5

    Even more info...

    Here's exactly what I get after boot screen when I enter anything but 'failsafe':

    2 Penguins (represents 2 processors - thanks to hyperthreading)

    A bunch of initializing texts - sorry, I don't know what any of it means, but it's too much to type here.

    Then I get the following:


    Welcome to the KNOPPIX live Linux-on-CD (KNOPPIX is multi-colored)

    Scanning for USB/Firewire devices...done (it scans for several other things, but it finishes with this)
    Enabling DMA acceleration for: hda [TOSHIBA MK8026GAX] (That's my hard drive)
    Enabling DMA acceleration for: hdc [SD-R2512] (That's my DVD-ROM drive)
    Looking for CDROM in: /dev/scd0

    Then the cursor blinks for a few seconds, the DVD-ROM drive works for a second, then the cursor disappears and it hangs indefinitely there.

    Thanks.

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Sault Ste Marie
    Posts
    6

    Try This

    Code:
    knoppix26 apm=off nolapic noscsi acpi=on
    I had a very similar problem, and the nolapic has something to do with detecting mulitple processors. On the computers I have tried it on, they always show up two processors even though there is only one. On my laptop, I am running an AMD 2200 and things are working good. You do want to make sure you put in acpi=on though because otherwise your laptop will probably overheat.

    Lemme know if this help.

    Jamie

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Glendale, Arizona, USA
    Posts
    5

    I want it to show two processors...

    ...that's the whole point of hyperthreading. It fools the OS into thinking there are two processors, thus enabling it to run more efficiently. I'll try your boot options now, too, and let you know what happens.

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Sault Ste Marie
    Posts
    6
    But it wasn't just CPU's with HyperThreading that showed up with two. It was my friends Pentium4m that also showed up this way.

Similar Threads

  1. knoppix 4 hangs at boot
    By jimc in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-30-2005, 06:34 PM
  2. Boot hangs just before Penguin display...
    By a1an_g in forum Laptops
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-13-2005, 08:00 PM
  3. knoppix hangs by boot.
    By Athalon1951 in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-08-2003, 09:23 PM
  4. Notebook hangs during boot
    By MChrist in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-23-2003, 12:28 PM
  5. hangs during boot
    By Bieren in forum General Support
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-10-2003, 08:19 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP,  (6 CDS) picture

Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP, (6 CDS)

$10.00



KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit picture

KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit

$19.99



KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED picture

KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED

$11.99



Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive picture

Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive

$5.99



Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 16G USB Stick

$20.85



Knoppix NSM 1.2 picture

Knoppix NSM 1.2

$8.00



VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION) picture

VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION)

$7.57



Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 32G USB Stick

$21.42



Hamshack Live DVD-ROM picture

Hamshack Live DVD-ROM

$7.00



Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006 picture

Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006

$33.98