You can start CUPS with: /etc/init.d/cupsys start
If it works add it to startup with: update-rc.d cupsys defaults
When I open the printer configuration a message appears "List of printers could not be transferred. Connection to CUPS Server didnt work. Please check if the CUPS Server is correctly installed and activated". I cant install any printer. What can i do ?
You can start CUPS with: /etc/init.d/cupsys start
If it works add it to startup with: update-rc.d cupsys defaults
After typing the command this message appears:
Starting printing system service: cupsdcupsd: Child exited with status 1!
But I still get the same error message when installing a printer
Hmm, something wrong with cups then. Do you get any errors with typing: cupsd
EDIT: You have to do these as root. So type first sudo su to become root in a shell, and exit from su with ctrl-d.
I get "child exited with Status 98!"
Starting to look like this thread: http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3592
How are you going about this? K-menu -> KNOPPIX -> Configure -> Configure Printers ?
Do you see any specific error messages with: cat /var/log/cups/error_log ?
Is cups running even though it supposedly exited: ps fax|grep cups
Which version of Knoppix do you have?
Sorry for just having questions instead of answers![]()
Yep, deja vu! I remember having trouble then. What I learned is that it sometimes matters how you configure printers in KDE. Don't know why. Before you go poking around with console commands as root, tell us specifically how you are getting there. Oftentimes, if I get there by K->KNOPPIX-> etc., it doesn't work for me. But if I start at the penguin icon instead, then go to Configure, then set up printers, it works fine. I know it shouldn't make a difference, but it does sometimes.Originally Posted by Markus
JD

EARLY INTEL 3101 Vintage Ceramic chip. ALL LEGS INTACT (BO)
$350.00
Vintage Iwill XA100 Plus Super Socket 7 Motherboard + K6-III 450 + 896mb READ
$179.99
Vintage NEC CDR-1410A 50 Pin SCSI CD-ROM Optical Drive Used
$39.99
VINTAGE Custom Built Desktop-AMD [email protected] 8GB RAM 80GB HDD NO OS-READ
$160.00
MOS MCS1026 Vintage Ceramic Chip - missing multiple legs (BO)
$250.00
INTEL C3404 VINTAGE Ceramic Gray Trace Chip ALL LEGS INTACT (BO)
$250.00
Intel C4003 Vintage Ceramic Chip - multiple damaged legs
$200.00
Original Vintage Old Style STANDARD Black CD Jewel Case (Heavy Duty) 90g Lot
$316.95
Vintage Sony CD-ROM Drive CDU5211 IDE Optical Used
$19.99
Rare Vintage Qume QVT-102 Terminal w Keyboard Damaged READ
$129.00