-
Can I repair HDD with Knoppix?
Hello gang. I'm brand new to Knoppix here. Kinda cool I must say. Anyway, I have a problem with my Dell Inspiron 8000 Laptop. There is currently no data on the drive as I have wiped it clean. My problem is that while trying to install a fresh version of XP I hit a snag. While I was formatting the drive, the formatter detected a disk problem of some kind and stopped. I tried the format process three times, each ending with the same error.
Can I repair the HDD using tools that are contained within Knoppix? Or can I place some type of disk repair tool on a floppy and run that tool from within Knoppix?
Thanks for the help. I did do a search, but I didn't find anything that met my needs.
Take care - Ride safe.
Fat Boy.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Are you intending to install Knoppix on this drive as well as XP?
If so, I suggest you partition it now since it is MT. Use windows fdisk. Make 4 partitions, one primary formatted NTFS for XP operating system. The rest of the disk then becomes 'extended partition'. Make three logical partitions on this, one about 3.5 gig for Knoppix O/S, one anout 0.5 gig for Knoppix swap. All the rest for data. Format all these partitions VFAT (fat32) for now. The Data partition will stay VFAT & can be shared by both Linux & XP, the other two will be changed to Linux formats during the Knoppix install. Chances are that your disk 'error' will be corrected by the partitioning process. Install XP first, then Knoppix & you will be able specify which partitions to put Knoppix on during the install process. Use 'ext3' for the Knoppix filesystem type, not ext2.
-

Originally Posted by
CrashedAgain
Are you intending to install Knoppix on this drive as well as XP?
If so, I suggest you partition it now since it is MT. Use windows fdisk. Make 4 partitions, one primary formatted NTFS for XP operating system. The rest of the disk then becomes 'extended partition'. Make three logical partitions on this, one about 3.5 gig for Knoppix O/S, one anout 0.5 gig for Knoppix swap. All the rest for data. Format all these partitions VFAT (fat32) for now. The Data partition will stay VFAT & can be shared by both Linux & XP, the other two will be changed to Linux formats during the Knoppix install. Chances are that your disk 'error' will be corrected by the partitioning process. Install XP first, then Knoppix & you will be able specify which partitions to put Knoppix on during the install process. Use 'ext3' for the Knoppix filesystem type, not ext2.
Thanks for the reply. I am only trying to fix my HD so that I may install XP again. Using Knoppix from the CD as my operating system, should I copy fdisk to floppy and try and repair the HD?
-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: Can I repair HDD with Knoppix?

Originally Posted by
FatBoy
Hello gang. I'm brand new to Knoppix here. Kinda cool I must say. Anyway, I have a problem with my Dell Inspiron 8000 Laptop. There is currently no data on the drive as I have wiped it clean. My problem is that while trying to install a fresh version of XP I hit a snag. While I was formatting the drive, the formatter detected a disk problem of some kind and stopped. I tried the format process three times, each ending with the same error.
Can I repair the HDD using tools that are contained within Knoppix? Or can I place some type of disk repair tool on a floppy and run that tool from within Knoppix?
Thanks for the help. I did do a search, but I didn't find anything that met my needs.
Take care - Ride safe.
Fat Boy.
I think CrashedAgain gave you some good advice for reinstalling windows but it looks like your XP partitioning utility (whatever it is called) is having problems. You can do a low-level format of the drive w/ your Knoppix disc like so:
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda
Let me stress that you had better be sure that's the right drive!
In the past it was always a good idea to make windows parts w/ windows utilities and Linux parts w/ Linux utilities but I really don't know how true this is anymore. You can certainly partition the drive from Knoppix.
-
Re: Can I repair HDD with Knoppix?

Originally Posted by
mzilikazi
You can do a low-level format of the drive w/ your Knoppix disc like so:
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda
Since I am brand new to Linux, I am assuming you want me to type that in the Konsole? Well, I tried that and I got this:
dd: opening `/dev/hda': Permission denied
What might I be doing wrong?
Also, does Knoppix have any disk utilities that can fix bad disks?
Thanks again.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Try as root. 
su
Similar Threads
-
By Howitzer17 in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 14
Last Post: 06-22-2005, 08:57 AM
-
By Ripshaft in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 02-16-2005, 09:32 PM
-
By MaldiGola in forum General Support
Replies: 4
Last Post: 09-05-2004, 03:51 PM
-
By khwong2004 in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 3
Last Post: 08-31-2004, 04:46 AM
-
By Graham Nichols in forum General Support
Replies: 7
Last Post: 05-23-2004, 09:15 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot
$60.00

External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac
$19.99

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i5 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro
$545.25

External Solid State Drive USB 3.2 Gen2, 1TB SSD External Hard Drive with C to A
$100.00

1TB Kingston DataTraveler Max DTMAX/1TB USB Type-C Flash Drive
$86.95

SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM
$159.99

Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1
$99.99

Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16" i9 275HX 2S RTX 5070 Ti 32GB 1TB SSD Refurb
$1746.47

EDILOCA EN880E 1TB M.2 NVMe PCIe Gen4 Internal SSD for Laptop/PC
$115.00

Acer Nitro 5 Gaming Laptop i5-12500H RTX 3050 Ti 16GB RAM 1.5TB SSD
$550.00