Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Can I repair HDD with Knoppix?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    3

    Can I repair HDD with Knoppix?

    Hello gang. I'm brand new to Knoppix here. Kinda cool I must say. Anyway, I have a problem with my Dell Inspiron 8000 Laptop. There is currently no data on the drive as I have wiped it clean. My problem is that while trying to install a fresh version of XP I hit a snag. While I was formatting the drive, the formatter detected a disk problem of some kind and stopped. I tried the format process three times, each ending with the same error.

    Can I repair the HDD using tools that are contained within Knoppix? Or can I place some type of disk repair tool on a floppy and run that tool from within Knoppix?

    Thanks for the help. I did do a search, but I didn't find anything that met my needs.

    Take care - Ride safe.

    Fat Boy.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    981
    Are you intending to install Knoppix on this drive as well as XP?
    If so, I suggest you partition it now since it is MT. Use windows fdisk. Make 4 partitions, one primary formatted NTFS for XP operating system. The rest of the disk then becomes 'extended partition'. Make three logical partitions on this, one about 3.5 gig for Knoppix O/S, one anout 0.5 gig for Knoppix swap. All the rest for data. Format all these partitions VFAT (fat32) for now. The Data partition will stay VFAT & can be shared by both Linux & XP, the other two will be changed to Linux formats during the Knoppix install. Chances are that your disk 'error' will be corrected by the partitioning process. Install XP first, then Knoppix & you will be able specify which partitions to put Knoppix on during the install process. Use 'ext3' for the Knoppix filesystem type, not ext2.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by CrashedAgain
    Are you intending to install Knoppix on this drive as well as XP?
    If so, I suggest you partition it now since it is MT. Use windows fdisk. Make 4 partitions, one primary formatted NTFS for XP operating system. The rest of the disk then becomes 'extended partition'. Make three logical partitions on this, one about 3.5 gig for Knoppix O/S, one anout 0.5 gig for Knoppix swap. All the rest for data. Format all these partitions VFAT (fat32) for now. The Data partition will stay VFAT & can be shared by both Linux & XP, the other two will be changed to Linux formats during the Knoppix install. Chances are that your disk 'error' will be corrected by the partitioning process. Install XP first, then Knoppix & you will be able specify which partitions to put Knoppix on during the install process. Use 'ext3' for the Knoppix filesystem type, not ext2.
    Thanks for the reply. I am only trying to fix my HD so that I may install XP again. Using Knoppix from the CD as my operating system, should I copy fdisk to floppy and try and repair the HD?

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    900

    Re: Can I repair HDD with Knoppix?

    Quote Originally Posted by FatBoy
    Hello gang. I'm brand new to Knoppix here. Kinda cool I must say. Anyway, I have a problem with my Dell Inspiron 8000 Laptop. There is currently no data on the drive as I have wiped it clean. My problem is that while trying to install a fresh version of XP I hit a snag. While I was formatting the drive, the formatter detected a disk problem of some kind and stopped. I tried the format process three times, each ending with the same error.

    Can I repair the HDD using tools that are contained within Knoppix? Or can I place some type of disk repair tool on a floppy and run that tool from within Knoppix?

    Thanks for the help. I did do a search, but I didn't find anything that met my needs.

    Take care - Ride safe.

    Fat Boy.
    I think CrashedAgain gave you some good advice for reinstalling windows but it looks like your XP partitioning utility (whatever it is called) is having problems. You can do a low-level format of the drive w/ your Knoppix disc like so:

    dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda

    Let me stress that you had better be sure that's the right drive!

    In the past it was always a good idea to make windows parts w/ windows utilities and Linux parts w/ Linux utilities but I really don't know how true this is anymore. You can certainly partition the drive from Knoppix.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    3

    Re: Can I repair HDD with Knoppix?

    Quote Originally Posted by mzilikazi
    You can do a low-level format of the drive w/ your Knoppix disc like so:

    dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda
    Since I am brand new to Linux, I am assuming you want me to type that in the Konsole? Well, I tried that and I got this:

    dd: opening `/dev/hda': Permission denied

    What might I be doing wrong?

    Also, does Knoppix have any disk utilities that can fix bad disks?

    Thanks again.

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    900
    Try as root.
    su

Similar Threads

  1. Repair partition with Knoppix?
    By Howitzer17 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 06-22-2005, 08:57 AM
  2. How would I repair the master boot record with knoppix?
    By Ripshaft in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-16-2005, 09:32 PM
  3. Can I repair my USB thumb drive with Knoppix?
    By MaldiGola in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-05-2004, 03:51 PM
  4. Repair NTFS in Knoppix
    By khwong2004 in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-31-2004, 04:46 AM
  5. Trying to repair Windows XP Pro with Knoppix 3.4
    By Graham Nichols in forum General Support
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-23-2004, 09:15 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM picture

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM

$1499.00



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



Dell PowerEdge R240 Intel Xeon E-2224 3.50GHz 8GB DDR4 ECC NO HDD 250W picture

Dell PowerEdge R240 Intel Xeon E-2224 3.50GHz 8GB DDR4 ECC NO HDD 250W

$285.97



867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001 picture

867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001

$245.00



Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD

$378.93



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$524.99



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$409.99



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E6-2699 v3 | 128gb RAM | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E6-2699 v3 | 128gb RAM | 2x 1600W

$899.99



Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD

$99.99



Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM picture

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM

$699.00