-
How to make 1024 x 768 my default screen resolution?
Hiya!
I have recently installed Knoppix 3.4 (2.6 kernel) on my old HP Pavilion 6638 desktop. It has the corresponding HP M50 monitor. After days of Googling, and trying many things, I have been unable to figure out how to make 1024 x 768 my default screen resolution.
Control Alt + or - only toggles between the lesser resolutions, even though my etc/x11/xf86Config-4 file shows 1024 x 768 as one of the available modes.
I don't have the option of using a cheatcode at startup, as I never see a boot prompt at startup... it just boots up to the Debian Sid LILO screen, giving me the choices:
Linux
Linux 2.4 kernel
Linux 2.6 kernel and
Windows 98
I have tried the lilo-config application in the KDE menu (trying to see if there was a way to insert a "screen=1024 x 768" cheatcode), and it appears to run some script, but it goes by so fast and then immediately disappears, so I don't really know what it did, but I do know what it didn't do...fix the problem!
If anyone can steer me in the right direction, I'd be grateful! No, I already am grateful! Knoppix is a great distro! Thanks to all who have made it so!
[/u][/i][/b]
-
Senior Member
registered user
In my experience the KDE resolution selection tool thing is a bit lacking in that it simply doesn't work but instead it magnifies the screen. That's a loser.
If you put 1024x768 as the first available resolution in /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 it should use it. Of course you can remove the other resolutions if you don't intend on using them.
Code:
EndSubSection
SubSection "Display"
Depth 24
Modes "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
-
Thanks, I shall give that a try after reboot (currently in that "other" OS)
-
Senior Member
registered user
Another way to save monitor settings is to type as root from a shell: '/usr/bin/kxconfig'
-
PROBLEM SOLVED!
I edited the etc/X11/Xf86Config file by:
changing default color depth from 16 to 24 and
removing all references to the lower resolutions.
then I rebooted, and there she was in 1024 x 768
Thanks so much! I should have asked sooner!
God's blessings on you!
Similar Threads
-
By cronex2000 in forum General Support
Replies: 5
Last Post: 05-24-2004, 03:56 PM
-
By DimGR in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 04-19-2004, 08:27 PM
-
By Javier Belanche in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 2
Last Post: 10-04-2003, 10:40 PM
-
By pankepasa in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 4
Last Post: 03-03-2003, 08:25 PM
-
By etsoft in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 03-02-2003, 09:49 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN
$145.00

KTN-STL3 EMC VNX 15-slot Disk Array Expansion, full 15 x 2tb drives 100% health
$360.00

Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026
$12.99

Netgate 2100 pfSense Firewall Appliance w/ Power Adapter w/Storage Upgrade
$187.50

ULTIMATE ARCH LINUX BOOTABLE USB/DVD INSTALLER 64-BIT - CHOOSE BUILD - PC/MAC
$4.49

Start9 Server Pure 32GB 4TB Intel i7 Node StartOS — Box + PSU
$599.00

Ubuntu 26.04 LTS – 3 DVD Set Desktop - Server - Studio Edition - Grade AAA+
$13.99

Microsoft SQL Server 2025 Standard 32 Core Unlimited CAL Retail License Package
$299.00

Microsoft SQL Server 2025 Standard 16-Core Perpetual License | Factory Sealed
$724.63

NVIDIA Jetson TK1 + Intel NUC Compute Cluster Tray w/ Netgear 16-Port Switch
$499.99