Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Change Terminal Language

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    33

    Change Terminal Language

    My terminal language is set on German. I need to change it to English to be able to make any sese of it. Man pages, errors, etc. How do I do this?

    Thank you,
    -Bob

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    33
    After some searching I have checked /etc/sysconfig/i18n, or something very similar and lang is already set to US. Any one have ideas?

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323
    So did it look something like this?
    LANG="C"
    COUNTRY="us"
    LANGUAGE="us"
    CHARSET="iso8859-1"
    XMODIFIERS=""
    What does the command env return?

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    949
    type lang=us at start up.

  5. #5
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    33
    Quote Originally Posted by Markus
    So did it look something like this?
    LANG="C"
    COUNTRY="us"
    LANGUAGE="us"
    CHARSET="iso8859-1"
    XMODIFIERS=""
    What does the command env return?
    Env
    KDE_MULTIHEAD=false
    SSH_AGENT_PID=1999
    TERM=xterm
    SHELL=/bin/bash
    XDM_MANAGED=/var/run/xdmctl/xdmctl-:0,maysd,mayfn,sched,method=classic
    GTK2_RC_FILES=/etc/gtk-2.0/gtkrc:/home/bob/.gtkrc-2.0:/home/bob/.kde/share/config/gtkrc
    GTK_RC_FILES=/etc/gtk/gtkrc:/home/bob/.gtkrc:/home/bob/.kde/share/config/gtkrc
    GS_LIB=/home/rfauth/.fonts
    WINDOWID=37748743
    KDE_FULL_SESSION=true
    USER=bob
    XCURSOR_SIZE=
    SSH_AUTH_SOCK=/tmp/ssh-XufUaS1974/agent.1974
    SESSION_MANAGER=local/Knoppix:/tmp/.ICE-unix/2058
    KONSOLE_DCOP=DCOPRef(konsole-2168,konsole)
    DESKTOP_SESSION=default
    PATH=/home/bob/.dist/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/games:.:/usr/lib/oss/bin
    KONSOLE_DCOP_SESSION=DCOPRef(konsole-2168,session-1)
    PWD=/home/bob
    LANG=de_DE@euro
    SHLVL=2
    HOME=/home/bob
    LANGUAGE=de
    XCURSOR_THEME=default
    LOGNAME=bob
    DISPLAY=:0.0
    COLORTERM=
    _=/usr/bin/env

    Why does it say DE here? /etc/sysconfig/i8n states lang=us

    Ok, this is wierd. I just checked /sysconfig/i18n again and all is set to de?
    going to change to "us"

  6. #6
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    33
    Well, I may be going crazy.
    I edited the /etc/sysconfig/i18n again, changed settings as Markus noted, and all is well.
    Thank you.

  7. #7
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    33
    Quote Originally Posted by uraclea2002
    Well, I may be going crazy.
    I edited the /etc/sysconfig/i18n again, changed settings as Markus noted, and all is well.
    Thank you.
    Update: After rebooting all is set to German again. What can I edit to make this stick?

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323
    Hmm, strange... Do you by chance have a Knoppix style hd-install?
    Have you seen this: http://knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4030
    One of the solutions there should work. I would start at the part about editing /etc/init.d/knoppix-autoconfig

  9. #9
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    33
    Quote Originally Posted by Markus
    Hmm, strange... Do you by chance have a Knoppix style hd-install?
    Have you seen this: http://knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4030
    One of the solutions there should work. I would start at the part about editing /etc/init.d/knoppix-autoconfig
    Yes, I do. And thank you for pointing out that thread. I did not find that in researching this problem. The fix at the end, editing /etc/init.d/knoppix-config, has corrected the problem.
    Thanks again Markus!

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323
    You're welcome.

Similar Threads

  1. Login language change
    By Dale in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-07-2005, 07:45 AM
  2. cannot change language
    By plener in forum General Support
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-17-2004, 11:01 AM
  3. Language Change
    By Marquis_24 in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-11-2004, 05:28 AM
  4. Change the language of Knoppix?
    By KnopperX in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-26-2004, 05:45 PM
  5. How do you change the default language?
    By Mr. Elefant in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-02-2003, 04:59 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Original Vintage Old Style STANDARD Black CD Jewel Case (Heavy Duty) 90g Lot picture

Original Vintage Old Style STANDARD Black CD Jewel Case (Heavy Duty) 90g Lot

$316.95



Vintage NEC CDR-1410A 50 Pin SCSI CD-ROM Optical Drive Used picture

Vintage NEC CDR-1410A 50 Pin SCSI CD-ROM Optical Drive Used

$39.99



Vintage Panasonic Sr. Partner RL-H7000 Computer w/Service Manual & DOS Disks Cov picture

Vintage Panasonic Sr. Partner RL-H7000 Computer w/Service Manual & DOS Disks Cov

$275.00



VINTAGE FACTORY SEALED MICROSOFT INTERNET EXPLORER 4.0 CD-ROM - NEW RARE BLUE CD picture

VINTAGE FACTORY SEALED MICROSOFT INTERNET EXPLORER 4.0 CD-ROM - NEW RARE BLUE CD

$34.99



Vintage Magitronic A-IDE104VL Winbond VL-Bus Super I/O Card PTI-255W V1.2 picture

Vintage Magitronic A-IDE104VL Winbond VL-Bus Super I/O Card PTI-255W V1.2

$89.95



Vintage Apple Newton Connection Kit for Macintosh, Other Type picture

Vintage Apple Newton Connection Kit for Macintosh, Other Type

$125.00



Vintage Working Apple IIc and Monitor.  With Packaging. A collector's dream picture

Vintage Working Apple IIc and Monitor. With Packaging. A collector's dream

$659.99



Vintage Paradise VGA Plus 16 ISA Video Card 1988 Western Digital PVGA1A TESTED picture

Vintage Paradise VGA Plus 16 ISA Video Card 1988 Western Digital PVGA1A TESTED

$89.99



Toshiba T1000 Vintage Laptop PC, 1 power supplies, manuals, and original bag picture

Toshiba T1000 Vintage Laptop PC, 1 power supplies, manuals, and original bag

$119.99



Vintage AppleCD 300i Plus CD-ROM Optical Drive SCSI 1993 Used picture

Vintage AppleCD 300i Plus CD-ROM Optical Drive SCSI 1993 Used

$47.99