Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Trying to Install Knoppix 3.4 on a Dell Poweredge 1750

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    4

    Trying to Install Knoppix 3.4 on a Dell Poweredge 1750

    Hello All,

    I am a newbie to both Linux but was recommended to this site by a friend who said that I can use Knoppix to install Debian (Sarge).

    My problem is that I am trying to install Knoppix to the HDD without any success.

    My Dell has 2 x 36GB SCSI Drives with RAID I (MegaRaid Card)
    Broadcom NIC

    Has anyone got a custom ISO that I can download or point me in the right direction?

    Thanks very much

    El Kabong

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    5
    when you boot the knoppix cd: what ist the error message? Or is it possible to boot and you aren't able to install?

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    4
    Hello Schrippe,

    Thanks for your reply.

    I am able to Boot from the Knoppix CD and Install to HDD. However, after the installation I reboot the machine and gives an "Kernel Panic" error

    regards

    El Kabong

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    5
    shit,

    so kernel panic: unable to mount fs message?

    when yes you must enable in the /etc/mkinitrd/modules the megaraid driver, only edit with vi and fill the line megaraid in the file.

    before, you must start from cd and mount the sda1 (i think) to /mnt
    "mount /dev/sda /mnt "

    then make a "chroot /mnt /bin/bash" and look in the /etc/lilo.conf to see, what initrd image is used in the default section.
    then you must "mkinitrd -o /boot/imagename" and "lilo" and then an reboot.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    4
    Hello again,

    I will try your suggestion tomorrow but when I reboot from HDD the installation does not recognise my:

    MegaRaid SCSI or my Broadcom NIC. I get the error after MODPROBE failure or something like that.

    I really wish there was some kind of Knoppix iso for the Dell Poweredge that I could download.

    Thanx again

    El Kabong

  6. #6
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    26
    hmm.. it should recognize the broadcom network dealio (im on it right now actually)... I am using Kanotix which is the samething as Knoppix so there shouldnt be a problem..

    Which version of knoppix are you using??

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    4
    Hi Prohan,

    I am using Knoppix 3.4 on a Dell Poweredge 1750 with 2 x SCSI Drives, MegaRaid controller.

    Interestly, I have managed to install Knoppix on a Generic Machine with no problems at all. Therefore I would be greatful for any assistance with this Dell.

    Thanks

    El Kabong

  8. #8
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    12
    Try downloading another setup file from a different mirror...

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    1

    knoppix fails SCSI detection on the Dell 1750

    I have the latest Knoppix ISO, but it fails to load on a Dell Poweredge 1750 unless I disable scsi detection. (knoppix noscsi) Unfortunately, what I'm using it for is to dupe a hard disk, so this isn't good.

    When I let it detect for SCSI, the first thing it does is:

    "Probing SCSI... eata.o"

    And that's it, that's where it dies/hangs. It has the megaraid controller, but it's disabled in favor of plain scsi drives. I've also installed Trustix without problem on the scsi drives, so not sure if that can help. The box in question also has the BIOS verson A08. Thanks for any advice.

Similar Threads

  1. Tryinh to boot Dell Poweredge 6450 using Knoppix
    By ninersheaven in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-03-2005, 03:07 AM
  2. knoppix 3.8.1 fails to boot on dell poweredge 1850
    By thewolf in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-26-2005, 01:28 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-08-2005, 10:00 PM
  4. Knoppix 3.4 on DELL Power Edge 1750 Server
    By bigbrother in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-04-2004, 08:23 AM
  5. compaq armada 1750
    By bob59 in forum Laptops
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-16-2004, 06:40 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


AMD Ryzen 5 5500 Processor ( read Description) picture

AMD Ryzen 5 5500 Processor ( read Description)

$59.00



INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH picture

INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH

$179.99



INTEL CORE I7-870 SLBJG 2.93GHZ LGA1156 4 CORE CPU PROCESSOR picture

INTEL CORE I7-870 SLBJG 2.93GHZ LGA1156 4 CORE CPU PROCESSOR

$23.00



LAST BATCH *Brand New-Sealed* AMD Ryzen 9 9950X3D2 Dual Ed. 4.3GHz 16Core AM5 picture

LAST BATCH *Brand New-Sealed* AMD Ryzen 9 9950X3D2 Dual Ed. 4.3GHz 16Core AM5

$768.00



Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor picture

Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor

$39.00



Intel Core i5-12500T SRL5W 2GHz 18MB 6 Core Socket LGA1700 Desktop CPU Processor picture

Intel Core i5-12500T SRL5W 2GHz 18MB 6 Core Socket LGA1700 Desktop CPU Processor

$114.99



Intel i7-8700 Coffee Lake 3.2GHz 6-Core Max Turbo 4.6GHz Processor picture

Intel i7-8700 Coffee Lake 3.2GHz 6-Core Max Turbo 4.6GHz Processor

$67.99



Intel Core i7-7700K SR33A 4.20GHz 4-Core LGA1151 CPU Processor picture

Intel Core i7-7700K SR33A 4.20GHz 4-Core LGA1151 CPU Processor

$62.95



Intel Core i9-9900K SRG19 3.60GHz 16MB 8-Core LGA1151 B Grade CPU Processor picture

Intel Core i9-9900K SRG19 3.60GHz 16MB 8-Core LGA1151 B Grade CPU Processor

$175.00



AMD Ryzen 7 7700X 8-Core, 16-Thread Unlocked Desktop Processor picture

AMD Ryzen 7 7700X 8-Core, 16-Thread Unlocked Desktop Processor

$250.00