Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Remastered CD cannot boot on certain machines

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    3

    Remastered CD cannot boot on certain machines

    Hi dear community,

    I've remastered KNOPPIX with my own settings. It is based on Knoppix 3.4.
    The original Knoppix ISO and my remastered one has been burned using the same CD-writer and CD brand. The problem is that I can boot Knoppix 3.4 from that CD without problems in many different computers, but the one I've remastered only boots on certains computers. It is not a matter of the CD reader, since I moved one from a machine that booted to one that didn't boot and it doesn't boot yet.

    I think the problem is in the BIOS, but I cannot understand why Knoopix ISO works well and not mine. About boot files, I just modified logo.16 and boot.msg, but the rest remains equal to base.

    Hmmm, this is challenging... any ideas?

    Thanks!
    pendrag.

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    41
    Hello pendrag,

    I have the same problem: the remastered CD only boots on some computers.

    My "solution": after creating the 700 MB Knoppix file (before creating the CD iso image) I copied again everything in /cdrom/ to /mnt/hda1/knx/master/ except the 700 Mb KNOPPIX file.

    Now it boots on all computers.....

    very crazy....

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    3
    Thanks a lot, I will try.

    But I DO want to modify some files there (logo.16, boot.msg, index.html, etc.). Must be a rational answer to do this, don't you think so?

    Regards.

  4. #4
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    41
    Hello pendrag,

    I had the problem without changing the files logo.16 etc. I only removed some packages, so I only changed KNOPPIX.ISO.

    Perhaps some computers have a problem, if the directory /boot/isolinux is "to far away from the beginning of the CD".

    This is not the rational answer You are looking for.....

  5. #5
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Vancouver BC
    Posts
    92
    Yes, I've had many issues with isolinux. It's too bad syslinux can no longer be used.

    - Ambrose

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    3
    But do you have any suggestion to avoid these kind of situations?

Similar Threads

  1. /etc/ read-only errors on remastered boot
    By DunkyB in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-18-2005, 02:49 PM
  2. Help!!! Remastered KNOPPIX image doesn't boot.
    By Yuriy in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-06-2004, 11:37 AM
  3. 3.4 CD won't boot on two machines
    By cottlestonpie in forum General Support
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 07-14-2004, 02:22 AM
  4. Remastered ISO fails to boot
    By mwagner_00 in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-07-2004, 11:12 PM
  5. Remastered CD fails to boot
    By bhaskar in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-08-2004, 07:12 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Vintage IBM Iconic Apple Rainbow Logo Black Nylon Padded Briefcase Bag picture

Vintage IBM Iconic Apple Rainbow Logo Black Nylon Padded Briefcase Bag

$75.00



Vintage Apple Multiple Scan 15av Display Monitor M4681 picture

Vintage Apple Multiple Scan 15av Display Monitor M4681

$299.99



Vintage APPLE POWER MACINTOSH 8500/180 M3409 w/ Original Box & Reciept UNTESTED picture

Vintage APPLE POWER MACINTOSH 8500/180 M3409 w/ Original Box & Reciept UNTESTED

$199.00



Lot of 3 VIntage  Apple Computer Rainbow Logo Sticker Decal Macintosh 1980s NOS picture

Lot of 3 VIntage Apple Computer Rainbow Logo Sticker Decal Macintosh 1980s NOS

$7.00



Vintage Apple USB Mouse M4848 Bondi Blue iMac G3 Hockey Puck - Tested Working picture

Vintage Apple USB Mouse M4848 Bondi Blue iMac G3 Hockey Puck - Tested Working

$22.99



Apple Macintosh II Extended Video Card 820-0198-C 630-0153 NuBus w/ Box Vintage picture

Apple Macintosh II Extended Video Card 820-0198-C 630-0153 NuBus w/ Box Vintage

$129.99



Vintage 1989 APPLE MACINTOSH IIci M5780 Desktop Personal Computer UNTESTED picture

Vintage 1989 APPLE MACINTOSH IIci M5780 Desktop Personal Computer UNTESTED

$99.90



Vintage Apple Mac OS 9 Retail Box 1999 Sherlock 2 Original CD Manuals picture

Vintage Apple Mac OS 9 Retail Box 1999 Sherlock 2 Original CD Manuals

$50.00



Vintage Apple Monitor IIc 9

Vintage Apple Monitor IIc 9" Green Monochrome 06/1985 A2M4090 October 1984 Stand

$275.00



Vintage Apple Assembly Line Newsletter Vol: 1,2,3,4,5,6,7 From 1984 picture

Vintage Apple Assembly Line Newsletter Vol: 1,2,3,4,5,6,7 From 1984

$179.99