Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Remastered CD cannot boot on certain machines

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    3

    Remastered CD cannot boot on certain machines

    Hi dear community,

    I've remastered KNOPPIX with my own settings. It is based on Knoppix 3.4.
    The original Knoppix ISO and my remastered one has been burned using the same CD-writer and CD brand. The problem is that I can boot Knoppix 3.4 from that CD without problems in many different computers, but the one I've remastered only boots on certains computers. It is not a matter of the CD reader, since I moved one from a machine that booted to one that didn't boot and it doesn't boot yet.

    I think the problem is in the BIOS, but I cannot understand why Knoopix ISO works well and not mine. About boot files, I just modified logo.16 and boot.msg, but the rest remains equal to base.

    Hmmm, this is challenging... any ideas?

    Thanks!
    pendrag.

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    41
    Hello pendrag,

    I have the same problem: the remastered CD only boots on some computers.

    My "solution": after creating the 700 MB Knoppix file (before creating the CD iso image) I copied again everything in /cdrom/ to /mnt/hda1/knx/master/ except the 700 Mb KNOPPIX file.

    Now it boots on all computers.....

    very crazy....

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    3
    Thanks a lot, I will try.

    But I DO want to modify some files there (logo.16, boot.msg, index.html, etc.). Must be a rational answer to do this, don't you think so?

    Regards.

  4. #4
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    41
    Hello pendrag,

    I had the problem without changing the files logo.16 etc. I only removed some packages, so I only changed KNOPPIX.ISO.

    Perhaps some computers have a problem, if the directory /boot/isolinux is "to far away from the beginning of the CD".

    This is not the rational answer You are looking for.....

  5. #5
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Vancouver BC
    Posts
    92
    Yes, I've had many issues with isolinux. It's too bad syslinux can no longer be used.

    - Ambrose

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    3
    But do you have any suggestion to avoid these kind of situations?

Similar Threads

  1. /etc/ read-only errors on remastered boot
    By DunkyB in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-18-2005, 02:49 PM
  2. Help!!! Remastered KNOPPIX image doesn't boot.
    By Yuriy in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-06-2004, 11:37 AM
  3. 3.4 CD won't boot on two machines
    By cottlestonpie in forum General Support
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 07-14-2004, 02:22 AM
  4. Remastered ISO fails to boot
    By mwagner_00 in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-07-2004, 11:12 PM
  5. Remastered CD fails to boot
    By bhaskar in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-08-2004, 07:12 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor picture

Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor

$39.00



Intel Core i7-9700 3.0 GHz Octo-Core (SRG13) Processor picture

Intel Core i7-9700 3.0 GHz Octo-Core (SRG13) Processor

$79.00



Intel Core i5-11500 2.70 GHz LGA 1200 Desktop CPU Processor SRKNY picture

Intel Core i5-11500 2.70 GHz LGA 1200 Desktop CPU Processor SRKNY

$94.99



Corsair RM750e 750W Fully Modular 80 Plus Gold ATX 3.1 PSU Certified Refurbished picture

Corsair RM750e 750W Fully Modular 80 Plus Gold ATX 3.1 PSU Certified Refurbished

$44.99



Intel 4th Gen Core i7-4790 SR1QF 3.60GHz (Turbo 4.00GHz) 8M 4-Core LGA-1150 CPU picture

Intel 4th Gen Core i7-4790 SR1QF 3.60GHz (Turbo 4.00GHz) 8M 4-Core LGA-1150 CPU

$39.99



Intel Core i7-7700T 2.9GHz 8MB Socket LGA1151 Quad Core Processor SR339 picture

Intel Core i7-7700T 2.9GHz 8MB Socket LGA1151 Quad Core Processor SR339

$39.99



Intel i7-8700 Coffee Lake 3.2GHz 6-Core Max Turbo 4.6GHz Processor picture

Intel i7-8700 Coffee Lake 3.2GHz 6-Core Max Turbo 4.6GHz Processor

$69.99



Intel Core i7-6700 3.40 GHz QUAD Core (4 Core) Desktop Processor 8MB LGA 1151 picture

Intel Core i7-6700 3.40 GHz QUAD Core (4 Core) Desktop Processor 8MB LGA 1151

$29.99



LAST BATCH *Brand New-Sealed* AMD Ryzen 9 9950X3D2 Dual Ed. 4.3GHz 16Core AM5 picture

LAST BATCH *Brand New-Sealed* AMD Ryzen 9 9950X3D2 Dual Ed. 4.3GHz 16Core AM5

$798.00



hp Desktop PC Computer Quad Core 16GB RAM DUAL 22

hp Desktop PC Computer Quad Core 16GB RAM DUAL 22" LCDs Wi-Fi BT Windows 11 SSD

$219.99