-
Senior Member
registered user
Can I fsck the HD install from the CD?
OK, first the problem: every so often (usually at a scheduled fsck) the HD install of 3.1 decides to mount /dev/null as read only. (I've no idea why: it seems that something is arbitarily setting the permissions to paranoid).
Sometimes I've been able to get out of this by logging on as root and simply resetting the permissions. This time, I'm doomed: post fsck I get a bash prompt with:
bash: /dev/null is read only
repeated umpteen times. I can't even get a shell or a login -- it won't accept input. It looks like the only way back (I can't fsck from my SuSE as ef2fs is an earlier version) is to somehow do it from the CD. But I get the message:
the filesystem must be mounted read/write (not a great idea when running fsck!) or you must be root.
Ideas, please!
Similar Threads
-
By Doni in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 06-10-2004, 09:28 AM
-
By nishtya in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 05-02-2004, 05:52 PM
-
By bobalex in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 01-28-2004, 07:48 PM
-
By ramu_i in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 3
Last Post: 01-02-2004, 08:26 AM
-
By billstei in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 12-30-2002, 12:05 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Fujinet 1.7.1 Atari 400 800 800XL 130XE 65XE XEGS Assembled, Tested, Working
$99.99

Atari 130 XE/Atari 1050 Bundle W/ Cords And Extras (Powered On)
$300.00

Atari 800 8-bit Computer System Fully Tested Great Condition 48k READ
$350.00

DEFECTIVE Atari 810 Vintage Computer Disk Drive powers on Unit Only Boo G3D
$49.29

Atari XE 130XE Computer NTSC with Power Supply Powers On Untested
$159.95

SOLD AS IS Lot of 5.25" Floppy Disks w/ Games & Software? Commodore 64 Atari 800
$59.99

Atari 520ST Vintage Home Computer Keyboard Unit
$199.97

Gotek USB Floppy Emulator v3.44 OLED (no speaker) Amiga Atari IBM Roland AKAI
$44.00

VTG Atari 1200XL Home Computer System 1200 XL ** Tested ** Parts or Repair
$323.75

ATARI HDD Drive ACSI Emulator 520-1040ST/STF/STFM, STE, Mega STE, TT030 acsi2stm
$48.95