Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Permanently enabling UDMA at boot via startup script

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    8

    Permanently enabling UDMA at boot via startup script

    I previously ran Knoppix hdinstall on a dual PIII-500 machine with 768MB and an Adaptec U2W card with the boot drive at 80mb/sec.

    Some time ago I upgraded to a dual Athlon 2100 MP system based on the Asus A7M266-D mobo. I like the machine a lot, but I switched over to IDE drives from SCSI and the performance difference is astonishing. The IDE drives are much slower.

    I recently learned how to use hdparm to enable UDMA on my drives and speeds improved dramatically. The online tutorial that I used to do this mentions copying the commands that are used to turn on UDMA to /etc/rc.sysinit so that the proper speeds are used upon reboot.

    I don't have that file in my /etc folder. Can anybody suggest the Knoppix equivalent, or do I simply need to create the file and add the hdparm -d1 commands for each of my three IDE drives?

    Don't want to mess up a working system, so I figured I'd just ask first before making changes.

    Thanks!

    Brian

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Kampen, The Netherlands
    Posts
    166
    Using knoppix 3.4, dma is enabled by default.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by pulsar
    Using knoppix 3.4, dma is enabled by default.

    That would be great if I was running 3.4. I'm running 3.3 and don't really need the angst of upgrading and reconfiguration at the moment.

    Brian

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    GA
    Posts
    382
    DMA is set in /etc/init.d/bootmisc.sh

    Kano has a script to set DMA on...or you can add the right hdparm settings to the script yourself. Wasn't DMA on the default in 3.3 too?

Similar Threads

  1. how do I run a script on startup
    By monkeyking in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-03-2005, 10:19 PM
  2. Help with shell script + startup
    By niXnoob in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-06-2004, 04:56 AM
  3. Need help with startup script.
    By obsoleto in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-02-2004, 05:43 AM
  4. Startup script and noscsi
    By darthczyz in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-14-2004, 06:06 PM
  5. Startup Script doesn't run
    By orcslayer in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-03-2004, 02:04 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16

Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16" i9 275HX 2S RTX 5070 Ti 32GB 1TB SSD Refurb

$1671.47



Dell Latitude 14

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i5 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro

$316.61



Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$90.00



External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac picture

External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac

$19.99



SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM picture

SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM

$159.99



Netac 2TB 1TB 500GB Internal SSD M.2 NVMe PCIe3.0 Solid State Drive lot picture

Netac 2TB 1TB 500GB Internal SSD M.2 NVMe PCIe3.0 Solid State Drive lot

$129.99



Apple iPad Pro 12.9

Apple iPad Pro 12.9" 5th Gen 128GB 256GB 1TB 2TB Wi-Fi Or Cellular - Good

$489.99



Acer Aspire 14

Acer Aspire 14" AI Copilot+PC Laptop Core Ultra 5 226V Gen 4 ARC 16GB 1TB Refurb

$462.74



Silicon Power 1TB SSD 3D NAND A55 SLC SATA III 2.5

Silicon Power 1TB SSD 3D NAND A55 SLC SATA III 2.5" SSD Laptop XBOX PS3 PC

$119.99



Toshiba DT01ACA100 1 TB 3.5

Toshiba DT01ACA100 1 TB 3.5" SATA III 3.5 in Desktop Hard Drive

$24.99