-
Permanently enabling UDMA at boot via startup script
I previously ran Knoppix hdinstall on a dual PIII-500 machine with 768MB and an Adaptec U2W card with the boot drive at 80mb/sec.
Some time ago I upgraded to a dual Athlon 2100 MP system based on the Asus A7M266-D mobo. I like the machine a lot, but I switched over to IDE drives from SCSI and the performance difference is astonishing. The IDE drives are much slower.
I recently learned how to use hdparm to enable UDMA on my drives and speeds improved dramatically. The online tutorial that I used to do this mentions copying the commands that are used to turn on UDMA to /etc/rc.sysinit so that the proper speeds are used upon reboot.
I don't have that file in my /etc folder. Can anybody suggest the Knoppix equivalent, or do I simply need to create the file and add the hdparm -d1 commands for each of my three IDE drives?
Don't want to mess up a working system, so I figured I'd just ask first before making changes.
Thanks!
Brian
Similar Threads
-
By monkeyking in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 1
Last Post: 01-03-2005, 10:19 PM
-
By niXnoob in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 10-06-2004, 04:56 AM
-
By obsoleto in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 06-02-2004, 05:43 AM
-
By darthczyz in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 2
Last Post: 04-14-2004, 06:06 PM
-
By orcslayer in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 01-03-2004, 02:04 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Lenovo ThinkStation P520c Intel Xeon W-2133 6-Core 3.60GHz -NO RAM/ HDD/ GPU/ OS
$127.54

Intel Xeon Phi 5110P 60-Core 1.053GHz Coprocessor
$50.00

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00

Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS
$239.99

Intel Xeon X5690 3.46GHz 6.4GT/s 12MB 6-core 1333MHz SLBVX processor
$28.00

Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS
$84.49

Intel Xeon E5-2680 V2 2.8GHz 10-Core 25MB 8GT/s SR1A6 LGA2011 B Grade Server CPU
$7.95

Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS
$179.98

Dell Precision T7820 Dual Xeon 4214R 48GB RAM 512GB + 1TB Quadro P400 Win 11
$699.00

HP Z440 Workstation TWR Xeon E5-1603 v3, 8GB RAM, NVS310, SB1570, NO SSD/OS #95
$89.99