The solution is simple: edit out the "2" in "ftp2.de.debian.org" so it just reads "ftp.de.debian.org". (This problem has been extensively discussed on this board; use the search function and search on "apt-spy" for an even better solution.)
Hi i am having a problem I originally posted on LQ. I was directed here:
Hi All,
I am using Knoppix 3.4. Today i went to install thunderbird and after installing I attempted to start the program. I got an error message that GLIBC_3.2.3 was need, no worry I'll just apt-get it.
First off the package does not exist. So i tried various combanations of the name, uppercase, lowercase etc. then i decided to just do a system upgrade. Problem with that is.... apt is hanging. Its always hanging on ftp2.de.debian.org.
A quick check of /etc/apt/sources.list shows that almost all of the sources are from there.... although they are listed several times. I really do not know what to do at this point. Apt is not cooperating and i can not get thunderbird to work because of this. I know I have properly installed thunderbird in the past on knoppix (albiet it was 3.3) any help would be greatly appreated.
shane
At LQ it was suggested I try :::: First use "su" command to get root privileges and then try "apt-get -f install" command. This often helps when APT gets tangled.
same results as before
thanks in advance
shane
The solution is simple: edit out the "2" in "ftp2.de.debian.org" so it just reads "ftp.de.debian.org". (This problem has been extensively discussed on this board; use the search function and search on "apt-spy" for an even better solution.)

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$409.99
Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00
VMware vCenter Server 8 STANDARD Perpetual License Key VC-STD-C (Legacy Pack)
$1599.95
MICROSOFT WINDOWS SERVER 2025 RDS 50 CAL NEW Factory Sealed
$136.87
SK Hynix Server Memory 32GB (1x32GB) RAM DDR4 2400MHz HMA84GR7MFR4N Lot of 12
$1599.99
Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p
$499.88
Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO
$308.00
Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb
$374.99
Dell EMC VxRail E560F 10-SFF 2*Gold 6230R 2.1GHz No RAM HBA330 iDrac Ent Server
$349.99
Microsoft Windows Server 2025 Standard 64bit 32 Core-50 CALs DVD With Key Sealed
$95.99