Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Backup NTFS partition with Knoppix live cd?

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    5

    Backup NTFS partition with Knoppix live cd?

    Hmm I browsed through the forum for a bit but couldn't find something exactly like what I'm thinking. If I were to boot up with a Knoppix live cd, would there be a way for me to back up an NTFS partition to dvdrw? Since from my understanding, there isn't going to be any space for an image to be created to do the burning? For example, if I use ntfsclone ( ) and pipe this into a mkisofs and pipe that into cdrecord...something like:
    Code:
    ntfsclone --output ntfs.img /dev/hda1 | bzip2 -c > ntfs.img.bz2 | mkisofs -r | cdrecord dev=0,3,0 -v --eject speed=4 -
    Unless mkisofs can't be fed like that..

    Lol, I'm completely clueless. But say IF mkisofs can be piped to ( I dunno if it can or not ) would this be doable on a live cd where there is no space for an intermediate image?

    Hmm..

    -Michael Hsu

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,516
    yes it should work ok, A DVD+rw can even be formated and used liek a 4.XGhdd...
    dvd+rw-tools are on knoppix so... here is more info.
    http://fy.chalmers.se/~appro/linux/DVD+RW/
    btw dvd+rw-tols work on dvd+r dvd-r and dvd-rw aswell. but only dvd+rw is possible to format as ext2, reiserfs...

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    5
    Ah.thanks for the reply I'll give it a try after finals. Sorry I totally forgot about posting here lol.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    692
    K3B now burns DVDs also.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    5
    Ok this is what I used to make a backup..I haven't tried restoring, although I did output a portion to the ramdisk and looked through the first few lines and it looks like it may be right.

    Backup:
    Code:
    su -c "./ntfsclone /dev/hda1 -o -" | bzip2 -c | growisofs -Z /dev/cdrom2 -stream-media-size 1000000
    Restore: Assuming that everything is working...
    Code:
    bunzip2 -c stream.img | dd of=/dev/hda1
    Also of note, if you have your ntfs mounted with captive-ntfs, be extremely careful not to use ntfsclone to dump that volume. It will fail and overwrite the volume's boot sector. Or atleast that is what I think happened to me, I had to go figure out how to restore a ntfs boot sector If anyone is brave enough to try and confirm this, that would be good :P

  6. #6
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    72
    Myself, I used Ghost which was on my eMachines reinstall CD.
    What's handy is using qtparted to partition a new drive,

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    5
    Ghost is pretty nice, but the last version I tried did not burn properly to dvd media. It would ask for next disc after 700 mb.

Similar Threads

  1. Can I burn files from an ntfs partition using Knoppix live
    By Drake in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-19-2005, 02:11 AM
  2. Partition Backup
    By GaTk in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 12-16-2004, 12:04 AM
  3. Knoppix Live CD-Entire windows system backup to DVD via USB
    By mconzo in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-06-2004, 02:09 PM
  4. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-03-2004, 04:15 AM
  5. Using partimage to backup a ntfs partition
    By raymond139 in forum General Support
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 09-09-2003, 04:15 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch picture

TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch

$19.99



NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch picture

NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch

$49.99



Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch picture

Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch

$46.99



TP-Link 5-Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch Network Expansion TL-SG105 picture

TP-Link 5-Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch Network Expansion TL-SG105

$19.95



10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W picture

10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W

$39.99



5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Home Network Hub, Office Ethernet S... picture

5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Home Network Hub, Office Ethernet S...

$9.64



TP-Link TL-SG2210P 10-Port Gigabit Smart Switch w/ 8-Port PoE+ NO AC SKU 25597 picture

TP-Link TL-SG2210P 10-Port Gigabit Smart Switch w/ 8-Port PoE+ NO AC SKU 25597

$36.98



Arista DCS-7050SX-64-R 48P 10GbE SFP+ 4P 40GbE QSFP+ RA Switch picture

Arista DCS-7050SX-64-R 48P 10GbE SFP+ 4P 40GbE QSFP+ RA Switch

$115.00



5Ports Gigabit Network Switch w/ 4 PoE+ Ports Total 52W each port 30W Plug&Play picture

5Ports Gigabit Network Switch w/ 4 PoE+ Ports Total 52W each port 30W Plug&Play

$31.99



Linksys LGS328MPC 24-Port Managed Gigabit PoE+ Switch with 4 10G SFP+ Uplinks picture

Linksys LGS328MPC 24-Port Managed Gigabit PoE+ Switch with 4 10G SFP+ Uplinks

$224.95