Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Dual HD install problems

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    4

    Dual HD install problems

    I am running Windows 2k prof on hda1

    I hd/installed on /hdb1 knoppix.

    However, I cannot get the computer to boot from hdb1. Not even
    when changing boot drive from hdd-0 to hdd-1 in BIOS.

    And as far as I know installing lilo or similar boot manager on
    hda1 would make windows2k not work.

    At the moment I am booting from floppy.

    Any suggestions on how to get my newfangled knoppix box up without
    the floppy disk?

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Aachen, Europe
    Posts
    85

    Re: Dual HD install problems

    Salve FIknoppiXr

    >I am running Windows 2k prof on hda1
    >I hd/installed on /hdb1 knoppix.

    >However, I cannot get the computer to boot from hdb1. Not even
    >when changing boot drive from hdd-0 to hdd-1 in BIOS.
    >
    >And as far as I know installing lilo or similar boot manager on
    >hda1 would make windows2k not work.

    First stepp to learn Lilo, read the lilo-mini-Howto
    Second, install lilo in MBR of hdb1, than you can choose OS by BIOS boot settings
    Third, install lilo in MBR of hda1 with the right configuration for windows2k.

    Because I use only GNU/Linux I cant help you with booting M$.
    But I can advice to read:
    http://en.tldp.org/HOWTO/mini/LILO.html

    rob

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    4

    Booting 2nd. disk drive

    After you boot from the floppy drive, log in as root, and edit the file "/etc/lilo.conf".
    The only thing you have to change is the line

    boot=/dev/hdc

    to

    boot=/dev/hda

    Save the file
    Run "lilo" from the command line

    Reboot and the Lilo window will be waiting for you to choose your operating system

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    4
    Ok, id edited the /etc/lilo.conf, from line that said
    'boot=hdb' to 'boot=hdb1',

    then typed 'lilo', then stuff happened, and was successful.

    Upon restart I went to BIOS and made hdd-1 the boot disk,
    what happened was

    'L 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 ...' with 99 spewing on the screen faster than
    donuts off the coffee tables.

    damn

    Cannot connect to internet either.. cable modem... interface file contains
    already

    auto lo eth0
    iface lo inet dhcp

    auto eth0
    iface lo inet dhcp

    //I edited the latter ones in as someone suggested this would fix the problems...

    I dont even know where to start...

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    The boot should be boot=/dev/hdb and the first iface line should be iface lo inet loopback and the second iface eth0 inet dhcp and you do not need the second auto eth0 you have already done that above.

    Edit: Also you will have to re-start the network /etc/init.d/networking restart to have the changes to the network settings applied.

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    4
    Great! I actually tried different variations last night, but it must have
    been that restarting of the network services that caused everything to
    fail - gotta try it

    So where do I write an FAQ about it?

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    You can use the knoppix wiki instructions are in the links at the bottom of the page.

Similar Threads

  1. hdd install without dual-boot
    By pakux in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-13-2004, 03:09 PM
  2. How To Install to Hdd And Dual Boot
    By \/\/inblowz in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-06-2004, 06:36 PM
  3. Dual monitors-XF86Config.new problems
    By nicorelli in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-05-2004, 09:12 AM
  4. Dual boot Kernel Upgrade problems
    By Paradox in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-07-2004, 01:58 AM
  5. Dual head, sound, usb keyboard, many other problems
    By NYLinuxLover in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-12-2003, 06:36 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


VA Linux 1120 1U Rackmount Server picture

VA Linux 1120 1U Rackmount Server

$100.00



Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026 picture

Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026

$12.99



OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN

$115.00



OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC picture

OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC

$175.00



All New Ubuntu 26.04 LTS Linux Bootable USB Flash Drive picture

All New Ubuntu 26.04 LTS Linux Bootable USB Flash Drive

$15.95



Start9 Server Pure 32GB 4TB Intel i7 Node StartOS — Box + PSU picture

Start9 Server Pure 32GB 4TB Intel i7 Node StartOS — Box + PSU

$649.00



ZimaBoard 2 1664 Home Server 16GB picture

ZimaBoard 2 1664 Home Server 16GB

$350.00



Dell Optiplex 7050 SFF Server (256GB NVME, 8GB RAM, i5-7500 @ 3.8Ghz) picture

Dell Optiplex 7050 SFF Server (256GB NVME, 8GB RAM, i5-7500 @ 3.8Ghz)

$75.00



LG PCS200S Pro:Centric Server Hospitality TV Management System 1U Rackmount picture

LG PCS200S Pro:Centric Server Hospitality TV Management System 1U Rackmount

$350.00



Hitachi 14TB SATA 6Gb/s, 3.5”, 7200 RPM, Linux Only Hard Drive. 100% HEALTH. picture

Hitachi 14TB SATA 6Gb/s, 3.5”, 7200 RPM, Linux Only Hard Drive. 100% HEALTH.

$197.00