Have you checked out hdparm?
I use knoppix 3.1 (latest release) and recently discovered fluxbox. Loads almost instantly on my thinkpad 600!
I only have 128 megs of memory, and a 380 meg swap.
Can any deb experts give advice on tweaking for better performance and freeing memory? Any servers not needed to be started?
Any advice would be welcome!
GregC
Have you checked out hdparm?
I'm pretty sure I have DMA enabled, as I see this listed during boot. Is there a way of checking?
Also, is there a way of freeing up memory as well? I'm so used to tweaking winblows to increase mem and speed...what about linux? With fluxbox loaded and nothing else open, should over 100 megs of memory be used? Is linux that memory hungry?
Hints?
GregC
Don't worry about it - it's only cached and Linux will give it up if necessary.should over 100 megs of memory be used? Is linux that memory hungry?
How would you like to change your IO from 16 to 32 FROM THE COMMAND LINE? How would you like to test and change your throughput? How about unmasking an IRQ?Can any deb experts give advice on tweaking for better performance and freeing memory?
hdparm is your answer. Type this at the command prompt:
man hdparm
Better yet check out this GREAT article on hdparm:
http://linux.oreillynet.com/pub/a/li...29/hdparm.html
You won't be disappointed.![]()
Thanks for the info! I'll give it a try tonight!
GregC

🔀 Juniper Networks EX2300-C-12P 12× Gigabit PoE+ • 2× 10G SFP+ Compact Switch ⚡
$109.99
Juniper EX2300 12-Port Gigabit PoE+ Managed Network Switch P/N: EX2300-C-12P
$149.99
Juniper Networks EX2300-48P 48-Port Gigabit PoE Managed Ethernet Switch
$79.99
Juniper Networks SRX220 8-Port Gigabit Layer 3 Managed Rackmount RJ-45 USB
$285.00
Juniper AP47 Mist Wi-Fi 7 802.11 6GHz 4x4 Wireless Access Point (NEW)
$999.99
Juniper EX2300-C 12 Port Compact Gigabit Switch EX2300-C-12p
$89.99
Juniper Networks MX204-HW-BASE *BRAND NEW FACTORY SEALED* READ DETAILS
$8199.99
Juniper MX204 +JUNOS and Dual Power Supply
$7299.99
Juniper QFX5100-48S-3AFI 48-Port SFP+ 6 QSFP+ 2x SFP/RJ-45 Management
$249.97
Juniper Networks EX2300-48P 48-Port PoE Gigabit Switch (Renewed)
$361.91