-
Senior Member
registered user
pre-pruned knoppix base
what file on the customized knoppix list is the smallest version with the full hardware support?
-
Strange... no answer up till now...
A good base to make your own "total-remaster" WAS modelK , but it seems to get more and more outdated...
It would be a whole lot easier to get more "offspring" from Knoppix if Klaus (or anybody else who has it) would make a BASE available to everybody, not ?
-
Its funny you guys are thinking about this. I am leaching knoppix lite 1.0 just to see if its any good?
-
Senior Member
registered user
knoppix lite is good, but the hardware detection is outdated. The smallest would be morphix.
The real small ones don't have X support.
KnoppixKDE was based on Knoppix Lite, but for the next one I'll use standard knoppix. Maybe I'll make a Knoppix-canvas in the process of making the next KnoppixKDE.
-
Senior Member
registered user
EADZ,
Why not Morphix then? What Alex is doing with Morphix is pretty impessive. He's working on a way to let people add apps to a cd w/o remastering. This will be quite a feat if it works out. I look forward to seeing his next release.
-
Hey Eadz,
The KDE rev you released was pretty sweet. I chopped away at it for a while as well. Managed to remove the good stuff like the boot splash with a kernel upgrade etc (opps, DUH!)
I liked it and was hoping you may release an update. I have a decided preference for KDE and really like the extra room on your release. I have been supporting a remastered Knoppix for the LUG I belong to and am tiring a bit of carrying the full weight of maintaining it by myself. If your planning on spending more time on your version I'd be interested in colaborating with you and anybody else who's interested?
Thanx, Dan
-
It's really quite hard to believe :
So many sub-distributions of Knoppix comming out these days and nobody having a basic "package" to start making from "scratch" ???
I'm really looking into it myself now and it seems that, compared to ModelK, the new Knoppix 3.2 has quite a few xtra files to keep, but I just can't seem to get which to keep... 
A good "starting package" probably would be one where you'd only have to add your own XFree version and KDE/Gnome etc. on top of it...
If anybody can tell me what packages I need to accomplish that, please tell me, and within a week I promise I'll post the image 
Thanx for anybody helping out with this...
-
Senior Member
registered user
Yes, I'm just investigating it.. another way of doing it is that you could write a script to strip out almost everything from official knoppix image and then work from that.
Thus there would be just knoppix-strip script that you could tell it how much do you want it to remove. With every new release you just update the script, run it over the new knoppix version and you'll get a base system. You then run your own scripts to customize the knoppix. Meaning it would take you a few hours of uncompressing, compressing and everything but at the end you could have quite automated customizing procedure.
Similar Threads
-
By Rink in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 5
Last Post: 05-19-2004, 09:40 AM
-
By fingers99 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 9
Last Post: 08-08-2003, 05:03 PM
-
By god in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 9
Last Post: 06-26-2003, 02:25 PM
-
By athlonthunder in forum General Support
Replies: 9
Last Post: 04-05-2003, 11:56 PM
-
By MichielioZ in forum Ideas
Replies: 3
Last Post: 02-17-2003, 05:00 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Lenovo ThinkPad L13 Yoga Touch Laptop 13.3” Core i5 8GB RAM 256GB SSD Win 11 Pro
$239.99

Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6" 16GB, Thunder Black
$241.50

Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6" 16GB, Thunder Black
$241.50

Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 3 Laptop 14” FHD AMD Ryzen 5 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11
$374.99

Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 2 Laptop 14” HD Ryzen 5 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11 Pro
$319.99

Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 1 14" AMD Ryzen 5 16GB 256GB SSD
$219.99

Lenovo Legion 5 Gaming 15.1" WQXGA OLED 165Hz Core i9-14900HX 16GB 1TB RTX 5070
$1539.00

Lenovo ThinkPad X13 Gen 1 i5-10310U 16GB 512GB SSD Touch Win 11 Pro Good
$222.99

Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 2 i5-1145G7 16GB 512GB SSD Touch Win 11 Pro Good
$261.99

Lenovo ThinkPad T14s Laptop 14” Laptop Core i5 8GB RAM 256GB SSD Windows 11 Pro
$249.99