Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Remote rescue over ssh

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    3

    Remote rescue over ssh

    I need to be able to ship a remastered Knoppix with our OpenVMS servers to be used from an attached PC (via serial cable) in case we need to do an emergency rescue of the OpenVMS server.

    The idea is that the user booting the Knoppix CD has probably never seen Knoppix before, doesn't care to learn it, and will need to be guided through the process on the phone, so minimizing user dialogue and total number of steps to explain is important.

    Ideally the system boots and configures network (as Knoppix does already,) assigns a random password (or prompts user to enter one) tells the user the ip#/password to let the "expert" at the other end of the phone know, and starts sshd so the "expert" can login with the supplied ip# & password.

    The rest of the rescue is performed by the expert, who starts minicom (preconfigured with the appropriate settings) to service the OpenVMS server attached to the PC with a serial cable.

    Knoppix is my first choice because it is based on Debian, with which I am already familiar, has a good reputation, is kept up-to-date, and remastering is a well-practiced art among the Knoppix user community.

    Has anyone already remastered Knoppix in the way I describe? I took a look at the list of remasterings, and didn't see any that matched my needs.

  2. #2
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    14
    ya this is easy, edit /usr/sbin/sshstart on your remaster and put the following line at the begining of the script..

    echo "knoppixEFAULTPASSWD" | chpasswd

    then comment out the messages that prompt before the window closes, it should look like this:

    #echo -n "$MESSAGE"
    #read a

    now when startssh is ran it wont require any user interaction.. so then I edited
    /etc/X11/Xsession.d/45xsession and put the line
    /usr/sbin/sshstart
    after where the linuxtag desktop icons are created...

    then you can make a webpage on your server that when opened it logs the time and the ip address of the visitor.. then put a script in /etc/network/ifup.d/ that opens that webpage, something simple like "wget http://yoursite.com/support/callhome.php -O /dev/null"

    then all the customer has to do is boot and get it on the internet, the cd will automatically call home and you can ssh in with the default passwd and start doing whatever you want..

    I am in the process of creating a support cdrom for the company I work for.. here soon we will ship our custom knoppix with every computer we sell (thousands a week) to assist our support staff in diagnosing and fixing people's computers..

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    3

    Thanks!

    That's very helpful. Thanks. Now I just need to figure out which remastering method is going to be least painful in the long term. I have been looking at Plugscript, and that looks promising.

  4. #4
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Vancouver BC
    Posts
    92
    With my remote remasters, I've set the password either and bootup or during the remaster (passwd root) or the chpasswd method, started ssh, and done an "ifconfig -a | mail -s subject [email protected]"

    That way, once it is booted up, I get notified, and can ssh right in and do whatever needs to be done.

    Good luck,

    - Ambrose

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    3
    I had to set this aside for a while. This month, I returned to the problem, following the remastering HOWTO from knoppix.net, and implementing nayr's suggestions. I did find one small glitch, which I have corrected. I'm recording it here for posterity, in case someone else is trying to do the same thing.

    It does not appear that /etc/network/if-up.d/* hooks are triggered by the Knoppix autoconfigure script (/etc/rcS.d/S00knoppix-autoconfig,) because it sets up the connection without using the "ifup" script from Debian's ifupdown package, so putting the wget "callhome" in if-up.d/ does not work. I noticed, though, that pump is called by knoppix-autoconfig, so I added this line to /etc/pump.conf:

    script /usr/local/sbin/pump_callhome

    And then I created /usr/local/sbin/pump_callhome & made it executable. Here's the revised example:

    #!/bin/sh
    case $1 in
    up | renewal)
    wget -q http://yoursite.com/support/callhome.php
    ;;
    esac

    I have tested this with Knoppix 3.9.

Similar Threads

  1. Rescue
    By gum digger in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-27-2005, 12:15 PM
  2. Knoppix to the rescue!
    By kefguy in forum Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-06-2004, 08:49 PM
  3. Using Knoppix as a rescue CD
    By mc_03 in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-27-2004, 10:36 PM
  4. Need help using KNOPPIX to rescue my PC - HP want me to RMA
    By j.drake in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 09-22-2003, 04:41 PM
  5. Knoppix to the rescue!
    By aay in forum News
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-31-2003, 09:59 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb

$374.99



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD

$378.93



Dell PowerEdge R730 Server 2x Xeon E5-2630 V4 64GB DDR4 2TB HDD Rackmount picture

Dell PowerEdge R730 Server 2x Xeon E5-2630 V4 64GB DDR4 2TB HDD Rackmount

$489.99



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD

$149.99



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$524.99



Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO picture

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO

$248.00



Dell PowerEdge R640 10SFF 2x Gold 6140 2.3GHz 36-Cores 64gb H730p 2x Trays picture

Dell PowerEdge R640 10SFF 2x Gold 6140 2.3GHz 36-Cores 64gb H730p 2x Trays

$599.99



Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD

$99.99



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores | 32gb | HBA330 | 2x 1... picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores | 32gb | HBA330 | 2x 1...

$324.99