-
Stuart,
Thanks for your reply.
Samba doesn't handle mail, but, as far as I'm aware it needs to have a list of valid users to handle user accounts.
I was advised to use Exim, which I was told was easy to configure: seems the info I had was way out of date and that the exim install has mutated to require dozens of configuration files, most of which are modified by scripts, and a good proportion of which seem to have no effect whatsoever.
I also have a real problem with the terminology.
What, for example, is the hostname? Is it the name of the server itself? is it the MX tab?
The relay stuff had me confused too. I previously worked for a company that was hacked (windows 2000 server) and used to relay spam, which, as you point out can and did result in blacklisting.
However, exim has steadfastly refused to relay from the local network (OE on XP), and no amount of tweaking of the myriad configuration files (see above) made the slightest impression.
Anyway, thank you for your efforts on this, I am sure that in today's environment of Spam, and malicious email, I can't be the only one wanting to set up an email server to filter nail and any help I get will, no doubt assist everyone else in utilising one of the undoubted strengths of linux.
Similar Threads
-
By John Richards in forum Other Live CDs
Replies: 0
Last Post: 08-27-2005, 08:37 AM
-
By bob58 in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 04-08-2005, 12:39 AM
-
By T-Dob in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 01-08-2004, 05:01 AM
-
By daYz in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 11-03-2003, 07:44 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Macintosh Platinum Mouse - Apple 128K 512K 512Ke Mac Plus Lisa IIe M0100 - NEW
$49.99

1984 APPLE MACINTOSH 128K MATCHING # BOX Set Original Mac Model M0001 WORKS RARE
$6299.00

Apple Macintosh 128k Desktop computer. Upgraded to 512k
$300.00

1984 APPLE MACINTOSH 128K FIRST MAC Model M0001 PICASSO KIT Discs Harvard Rare
$1800.00

Vintage Apple Macintosh 128K 512K Carrying Case Rainbow Logo Excellent Cond
$140.00

Macintosh Platinum Mouse - Apple 128K 512K 512Ke Mac Plus Lisa IIe M0100 - NEW
$59.99

Apple Keyboard and Cable for Macintosh 128k 512k Mac Plus RARE Vintage M0110
$129.99

Apple Macintosh 128K Computer M0001 *TESTED FOR POWER*
$349.99

Apple Macintosh Mac 128k - 512k Boot / Diagnostics 2 Disk Set for Classic Macs
$14.99

Apple Keyboard for Macintosh 128k 512k Mac Plus RARE Vintage M0110 (010)
$149.00