Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Centrino and Knoppix 3.4 05-17-04

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    42

    Centrino and Knoppix 3.4 05-17-04

    I had no problem using centrino wireless with Knoppix 3.4 05-04-04, but with the 05-17-04 version I can't get it to work at all. I'm not even able to load the driver with modprobe. I've checked both md5 sums; has anyone else experienced this problem?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    692
    If you're talking about the 2.6.6 kernel, YES.

    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...?p=51055#51055

    One of the reasons is that modprobe is looking for the drivers in the wrong location. In my case, modprobe is looking for prism2_cs.o in /lib/modules/2.6.6/pcmcia/, when it's located in /lib/modules/2.4.26/pcmcia/.
    Try booting the 2.4.26 default kernel, and I bet it will find your driver. In my case, I still have a configuration problem that keeps it from working in 2.4.26, and besides, my touchpad mouse doesn't work in 2.4.26. So until I can boost a USB mouse or fix the touchpad, I'm kind of at a loss for what to do.

    External sources are of no real help, because the problem is that Knoppix 3.4 has two different kernels in two different locations, but as far as I can tell, neither of them are standard.

    Note that I posted this as a possible bug in the bugs tab (#4) for this release.

    Please let me know if you find a way around it. I've posted for about a week now, and haven't gotten any replies.

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    42
    No, my problem is with the 2.4.26 kernel.

    Just tried the 2.6 kernel but it locks up my system.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    8
    try using expert26 boot option, and select no to SCSI detection, that bypassed the system crash for me, and since my kaptop has no SCSI, I dont lose anything.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    3
    In the lastest Knoppix CD version (3.4-2004-05-17), it appears the Centrino driver (ipw2100) doesn't work at all. This is per the Bug List item #3 (accessible via the Bugs menu above).

    I can confirm both kernels (2.4.26 and 2.6) don't work with the Centrino wireless in my IBM Thinkpad T40. It looks like the previous 2004-05-10 release may work. I'm downloading it now.

    The release notes indicate the ipw2100 driver functionality was removed from the 2.6 kernel due to build problems. So that kernel is definitely a no go.

    After booting the 2.4.26 kernel, I ran 'dmesg | grep 2100' and found the firmware load of 'ipw2100-1.1.fw' appeared to be failing. It was looking for version 1.1, but only version 1.0 exists in '/usr/lib/hotplug/firmware/'. It appears the driver was updated, but the corresponding firmware was not included in this release. Another no-go!

    For those with hard disk installs, the latest 2100 firmware is here:
    http://ipw2100.sourceforge.net/firmware.php
    The INSTALL notes may also help, but are not specific to Knoppix:
    http://ipw2100.sourceforge.net/INSTALL (search for FIRMWARE).

    UPDATE:
    The 5-10-2004 version of Knoppix 3.4 does work with at least my Centrino Wireless setup (IBM Thinkpad T40 built-in Intel PRO 2100). If you need Centrino (Intel 2100) support, you should use this version, NOT the 5-17-2004 version. Just boot from the CD, run Knoppix / Network/Internet / waveLAN Configuration, open the web browser and you're on-line (without WEP for now)!

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,353
    You may also want to try the newest Kanotix.

    This version gives you some extra options as indicated by this information in the changelog:

    Many new WLAN drivers including ACX100 (PCMCIA), Centrino, and Ndiswrapper to use Windows drivers.

Similar Threads

  1. IBM R40 (Centrino) and wireless issue
    By manx in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-06-2004, 06:22 PM
  2. Wireless with Intel Centrino (2100) & Knoppix 3.4
    By headshot_001 in forum Networking
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 06-08-2004, 05:46 PM
  3. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-02-2004, 11:09 PM
  4. Intel Centrino
    By applecran in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-22-2003, 10:43 AM
  5. No sound on my Sony PCG-TR1 Centrino
    By runnersam in forum Laptops
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-06-2003, 07:04 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


NEW Cisco Meraki MS130-48P-HW 48-Port Gigabit PoE+ Cloud Manage Switch UNCLAIMED picture

NEW Cisco Meraki MS130-48P-HW 48-Port Gigabit PoE+ Cloud Manage Switch UNCLAIMED

$2999.99



Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch picture

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch

$129.99



Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module picture

Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module

$699.99



Cisco Catalyst C9130AXI-B WiFi 6 802.11ax Wireless Access Point Brand New picture

Cisco Catalyst C9130AXI-B WiFi 6 802.11ax Wireless Access Point Brand New

$101.99



Cisco Nexus N9K-C92160YC-X 48P 25GbE SFP28 6P QSFP+/QSFP28 PE Switch picture

Cisco Nexus N9K-C92160YC-X 48P 25GbE SFP28 6P QSFP+/QSFP28 PE Switch

$439.00



Cisco | N3K-C3232C | 32-Port 100G QSFP Network Switch  W/ 2x PSU, 2x Power Cords picture

Cisco | N3K-C3232C | 32-Port 100G QSFP Network Switch W/ 2x PSU, 2x Power Cords

$240.00



Cisco C9300-48UXM-A Switch 9300 Series 48-port UPoE Network picture

Cisco C9300-48UXM-A Switch 9300 Series 48-port UPoE Network

$874.99



Cisco C9200-48P-E Cisco POE Network Switch picture

Cisco C9200-48P-E Cisco POE Network Switch

$749.99



nxa-pac-750w-pe v02 NEW OPEN BOX for Cisco Nexus 9300 Series power supply picture

nxa-pac-750w-pe v02 NEW OPEN BOX for Cisco Nexus 9300 Series power supply

$200.00



Cisco XFP-10G-MM-SR 10G XFP Transceiver picture

Cisco XFP-10G-MM-SR 10G XFP Transceiver

$79.89