Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Problem with booting CD, Not in Docs

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Cornwall, England
    Posts
    3

    Problem with booting CD, Not in Docs

    Hi,

    I have a packard bell computer running Windows XP home edition.

    I downloaded Knoppix version 3.4 and burned it onto CD. I then went into Bios and changed the order which the computer boots from to.

    1) CD/DVD Rom
    2) Floppy
    3) HD

    But when it boots, it does not read the cd in the drive and just continues and boots from the HD.

    I was wondering what I had done wrong, and if not how you create a boot disk, and if this would help.

    Many Thanks

    P.S. When I downloaded there was only one file. Is this correct or am I missing some.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Portland, OR USA
    Posts
    568
    Quote Originally Posted by mastercheif
    P.S. When I downloaded there was only one file. Is this correct or am I missing some.
    On the CD you burned, when you look at it in Windows' File Dama^H^H^H^HManager, do you see these files/directories:

    boot\
    KNOPPIX\
    LinuxTag\
    Talks\
    autorun.bat
    autorun.inf
    ...etc...

    or do you just see one file, "KNOPPIX_V3.4-2004-05-17-EN.iso"?

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Cornwall, England
    Posts
    3
    All I see is KNOPPIX_V3.4-2004-05-17-EN.iso

    Is this correct?

    P.S. Thanks for the reply.

  4. #4
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    72
    Your CD burning program should have a 'burn image' option, which will take the .iso file and make a cd out of it.

    Ie.. under Nero, you have to exit the wizard, and then click on File.. then BurnImage.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Cornwall, England
    Posts
    3
    Should it work after I do this or will I still need to make boot disks?


    P.S. Thanks for the reply

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Portland, OR USA
    Posts
    568
    If your computer can boot off of the CD drive (it's a BIOS setting; do you know how to change your boot order in the BIOS?), then you won't have to make boot floppies. Just set it to boot from CD, make sure the Knoppix CD's in the drive, and off you go.

Similar Threads

  1. What happened to the Docs page? eom
    By RoadKill in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-04-2005, 05:12 AM
  2. Docs Down... How Long?
    By jMon54 in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-13-2004, 04:03 PM
  3. How do I get Office.org docs to print?
    By dd74 in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-18-2004, 08:40 AM
  4. Docs page defaced
    By TyphoonMentat in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-07-2004, 02:14 AM
  5. Docs:HDInstallChangeUserHowto
    By bongski55 in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-10-2003, 07:58 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot picture

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot

$285.90



1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot picture

1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot

$269.10



Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64bit - New Sealed – Flash USB 1 PC picture

Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64bit - New Sealed – Flash USB 1 PC

$49.99



2021 Full Version Office Professional Plus for 1 PC Flash USB Drive picture

2021 Full Version Office Professional Plus for 1 PC Flash USB Drive

$59.99



USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack picture

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack

$826.09



USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB picture

USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB

$8.47



 150x SanDisk 32GB ULTRA USB 3.0 flash drive SDCZ48-032G 32 GB read 100 MB/s picture

150x SanDisk 32GB ULTRA USB 3.0 flash drive SDCZ48-032G 32 GB read 100 MB/s

$286.75



LOT 10x SanDisk 32GB ULTRA USB 3.0 flash drive SDCZ48-032G 32 GB read 100 MB/s picture

LOT 10x SanDisk 32GB ULTRA USB 3.0 flash drive SDCZ48-032G 32 GB read 100 MB/s

$39.80



128GB USB 14-in-1 MacOS bootable Installer repair recovery tech support service picture

128GB USB 14-in-1 MacOS bootable Installer repair recovery tech support service

$39.99



Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet picture

Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet

$99.00