Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: help needed

  1. #1

    help needed

    ok this is my first time using linux and I'm having a little trouble.

    I run the 2.6 kernal so i can try to write to my NTFS drive. When ever I try to place a file there, it tells me there was an error writing to that drive. How can i make this work.

    Second, Persistent Home. I created one on my other linux partition as an image. I didn't use the encryption thing. When i startup and try to access it, I am told it can not load it then I am asked for passwords and stuff. How can I fix this. (P.S I would rather store it on my NTFS drive as my linux one is kind of currupted.)

    Thanks,
    Ryan

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Portland, OR USA
    Posts
    568
    Linux can read from NTFS partitions, but it can't write to NTFS partitions safely -- you run the strong risk of corrupting your data if you try it. (The version of the kernel you select won't affect this.)

    You can install the "Captive NTFS" drivers (from the KNOPPIX menu) to get read/write access to your NTFS partition, but, as Captive has to be (re)started after Knoppix boots (plus it's kind of flaky in practice), it doesn't mean you'll be able to load your persistent home from your NTFS partition.

    Your best bet would probably be to back up the data from, then reformat, your Linux partition.

Similar Threads

  1. Some help needed please.
    By BNU-FaNtAsMa in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-22-2004, 11:06 PM
  2. Two really needed programs
    By miguipda in forum Ideas
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-29-2004, 02:07 AM
  3. FreeS/WAN help needed....
    By magi in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-01-2003, 09:04 PM
  4. Help Needed .. in a bad way ...
    By junior in forum General Support
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-08-2003, 05:41 AM
  5. New HOWTO needed
    By Mr. G in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-23-2002, 01:06 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Samsung 860 EVO 2TB 2.5

Samsung 860 EVO 2TB 2.5" SATA III 3D NAND SSD MZ-76E2T0 94-100% Health

$207.00



Samsung PM43H 43

Samsung PM43H 43" Commercial Display READ

$300.00



Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$90.00



Samsung Galaxy Tab Active 3/  64 gig/WIFI picture

Samsung Galaxy Tab Active 3/ 64 gig/WIFI

$85.00



RAM-HOL-SAM60CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock for Samsung Tab Active5 - 3 - 2 picture

RAM-HOL-SAM60CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock for Samsung Tab Active5 - 3 - 2

$81.99



RAM-HOL-SAM52CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock Samsung Tab Active4 Pro & Tab Active Pro picture

RAM-HOL-SAM52CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock Samsung Tab Active4 Pro & Tab Active Pro

$81.99



Samsung SyncMaster 2033SW 20

Samsung SyncMaster 2033SW 20" 1600x900 Resolution WideScreen LCD Monitor

$41.00



RAM-GDS-SKIN-SAM54-NG-1 RAM Mounts IntelliSkin® Next Gen for Samsung Tab Active4 picture

RAM-GDS-SKIN-SAM54-NG-1 RAM Mounts IntelliSkin® Next Gen for Samsung Tab Active4

$93.99



Samsung PM9C1A 256GB m.2 2280  SSD GEN4X4 NVME MZVL8256HDJD new Laptop PC picture

Samsung PM9C1A 256GB m.2 2280 SSD GEN4X4 NVME MZVL8256HDJD new Laptop PC

$34.99



NEW Samsung NoteBook NT930QCG touch LCD Full Screen Assembly Blue picture

NEW Samsung NoteBook NT930QCG touch LCD Full Screen Assembly Blue

$225.77