If it's a read only file system then you need permission to write right?
I'm attempting to play DVDs in Knoppix. The faq says to install libdvdcss2_x.x.x-x as root using the following command line:
dpkg -i libdvdcss2_1.2.4-1_i386.deb
When I do so I get the following message (and a similar message using kpackage):
dpkg: unable to access dpkg status area: Read-only file system.
I understand the message but I'm unsure of how to fix this. Can anyone help?
Thanks in advance!
Adrian
If it's a read only file system then you need permission to write right?
I would assume so - but how is this accomplished? As root, I would assume that I could r+w anywhere. This suggests that the mount is read-only - which makes sense considering the nature of Knoppix.Originally Posted by rickenbacherus
Since the faq states that it is possible to view DVDs - I figure someone must have attempted this at some point.
Anyone??
Adrian
Just a quick question of clarification: you're trying to do this on a version of knoppix that you have installed to your hard drive right? This may seem like a silly question, but i didn't see anywhere in your post that you were working from a hd install. If you aren't, there's no way to get write access to the cd.
I'm running Knoppix off of the CD. I have assumed that (some) packages could be installed in memory (in the ramdisk?) and used as normal. Is this possible or does this require a custom build of Knoppix?
ps. Isn't the point of Knoppix to run from the CD? If you wanted a HD installation why not just use Debian? (Please forgive my newbie questions)
Adrian
I thought you were working from a hd install as well. I know nothing of using Knoppix from the CD...... BUT if it needs something additional to run DVD maybe you could add them in from a floppy when you boot or compile it into your own CD. Just some guesses.
I like the hd install becauseIf you wanted a HD installation why not just use Debian?
1)It works very well with my particular system
2)It installs fast!!!
3)I like all the packages that came with it.
4)I tried to get Debian once but the 'jigdo' wouldn't work and it takes for friggin EVER to download from their mirrors.![]()
It seems that DVD support isn't possible using the current Knoppix build 3.1 (running off of the CD). Is there a customized build of Knoppix with libdvdcss included?
Unfortunately I don't think my PII 400 is up to the task of creating a customized Knoppix build. I guess it may be time to do some shopping...![]()
Maybe one of these has it:Is there a customized build of Knoppix with libdvdcss included?
http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.ph...Customizations
Why not? Maybe you just need an excuse to buy a new PC?Unfortunately I don't think my PII 400 is up to the task of creating a customized Knoppix build.
If you do, verify all components as certified to work with Linux. -gluck
I'm having the same probblem as Adrian_Strilchuk. I'm also trying to play dvd from knoppix.
When i'm in the root shell and i type dpkg -i libdvdcss2_1.2.4-1_i386.deb in the knoppix root i get the error.
dpkg: unable to access dpkg status area: Read-only file system
i have knoppix DVD version on my hard drive so i don't know what the probblem is. It should alow me to open it up and instal it. I can also save files to my hard drive to and when i boot up my computer they are sill there. I also have my hard drive auto-madicly re-mounted everytime my computer boots up.
Is there some way to edit the file so you can read and write to it?
websites:
http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/FaqUsing
http://www.videolan.org/libdvdcss/download.html
Played around with several entries from various sites...then your entry finally did the trick!!!
I just wanted to say this to make sure you know how much your participation in these forums is very much appreciated!
Regards,
John

TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch
$19.99
NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch
$49.99
Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch
$129.99
TP-Link TL-SG1048 48-Port Gigabit Rackmount Switch New Factory Sealed
$199.99
10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W
$39.99
TP-Link TL-SG2210P 10-Port Gigabit Smart Switch w/ 8-Port PoE+ NO AC SKU 25597
$36.98
Arista DCS-7050SX-64-R 48P 10GbE SFP+ 4P 40GbE QSFP+ RA Switch
$115.00
Arista DCS-7010T-48-R 48P 1GbE 4P 10GbE SFP+ RA Switch with rack mounts
$69.00
Linksys LGS328MPC 24-Port Managed Gigabit PoE+ Switch with 4 10G SFP+ Uplinks
$224.95
Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch
$46.99