Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Spam from Knoppix mail client usage?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    3

    Spam from Knoppix mail client usage?

    I posted a question a while back (linked below hopefully) asking about why I started getting spam e-mails as result of once using a Knoppix CD (and KMail?) to pick up my e-mail.

    I remain curious as to whether anyone else has seen a similar problem (especially given that the spam to [email protected] continues to this day !) and what might have caused it....

    Of course it is too late to rectify my mistake but it wasn't a good advert for Knoppix (or, rather, something inclluded on it).

    I should note that - apart from this annoying breach of my e-mail address - I like Knoppix otherwise.

    My original posting is at :-
    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...e2008b75c6c5ae

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    981
    I'm guessing that some spammer detected you on line as knoppix@ youraddress.net & added you to his list of functional addresses. Short of using a firewall, not much you could have done to prevent it. This is not a Knoppix problem , just an internet user problem.
    I had a similar, someone started sending me spam in Russian, I think they got the address from me contacting a Linux message board. I traced the source to Montevideo but that was all I could do. I reported it to my ISP, asked them to handle it & it stopped.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Salt Lake City, UT, U.S.A.
    Posts
    1,338
    msmith,

    I, too, have "just" started to get spam, I think its in Italian, or maybe French, from someone who wants me to do "something" for them, and one more for a "mortgage loan" approval thingy...

    From what I can tell, they are just trying to "ping" people for responses; since the contact list on these emails appears to be sent to any "user account"@myISP.com -=- it sounds like they are simply sending a "blanket" email to anyone, and looking for a reply to determine if they sent to an actual valid email account.

    In situations like this, I either, one, block the sender/subject in my email, or, two, don't respond to them and delete the email. It should also be noted, that, when dealing with "public" message boards, if they attach your email addy to your post, when you post, (in some Windows newsgroups, this is the case), you should create a "fake" email addy to attach with... Common addys I have seen are: [email protected], or [email protected] -=- this practice, and knowing the newsgroup/forum, that you frequent, doesn't go and sell your email addy out, is about the strongest ally I have seen. I have even seen people go as far as getting a "dummy" email account that is given out, and a "working" email account that is only let out to "known" people. But, even then, I have heard these people can still get "junk" email in there "trusted" account. In some of the documentation, or man pages, I have seen email addys for "contact" people, written like someone at someserver dot com, which makes "stripping" an email addy manually required, not sure if this works, or not. I just think, you can't win, and it is only a matter of time before they "find" you.

    I have had this problem in Windows, and now, in Knoppix - but I think my ISP is giving out my addy, for a price, IMHO...

    Hope this helps,
    Ms. Cuddles

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    3

    Spam

    Hmm - thanks for the replies.

    I am still somewhat unclear how they managed to get my e-mail address just by my being connected to the Internet. Would the fact that Knoppix boots with known passwords mean that you are open to anyone hacking such details if you enter them in one of the Knoppix client applications (eg. a mail program)?

    My PC doesn't normally 'leak' e-mail addresses unless it has been compromised. I am trying to suss out the most likely cause of the compromise.

    Is the STD version of Knoppix likely to be more secure by default? There's no point in using the CD as a utility disk if it is easily hacked the minute you go online !

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    981

    Re: Spam

    Quote Originally Posted by msmith
    Hmm - thanks for the replies.

    I am still somewhat unclear how they managed to get my e-mail address just by my being connected to the Internet. Would the fact that Knoppix boots with known passwords mean that you are open to anyone hacking such details if you enter them in one of the Knoppix client applications (eg. a mail program)?

    My PC doesn't normally 'leak' e-mail addresses unless it has been compromised. I am trying to suss out the most likely cause of the compromise.

    Is the STD version of Knoppix likely to be more secure by default? There's no point in using the CD as a utility disk if it is easily hacked the minute you go online !
    I doubt if the fault is Knoppix passwords or lack thereof. After all, most hackers would be targeting the much more common Windows systems which have NO passwords. You could, however, make it a practise to set passwords before proceeding. Just open a terminal, 'sudo passwd' to set root password, 'sudo passwd knoppix' to set user knoppix password (actually I don't think you need sudo for this one).
    One would think STD should be more secure but I don't know anything about it.

Similar Threads

  1. Using Knoppix to send mail externally from a script?
    By eccythump in forum Networking
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-21-2005, 09:03 PM
  2. Debian Knoppix Mail Archives
    By ICPUG in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-09-2004, 06:16 PM
  3. Spam from Knoppix e-mail settings?
    By msmith in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-05-2003, 10:39 PM
  4. Why did Knoppix hide my mail ?
    By Mary in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-04-2003, 02:46 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray picture

Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray

$39.99



Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5

Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A

$64.00



Seagate ST8000NM0075 Enterprise Capacity 3.5 HDD 8TB SAS Hard Drive 8TB EXOS picture

Seagate ST8000NM0075 Enterprise Capacity 3.5 HDD 8TB SAS Hard Drive 8TB EXOS

$184.99



Toshiba DT01ACA100 1 TB 3.5

Toshiba DT01ACA100 1 TB 3.5" SATA III 3.5 in Desktop Hard Drive

$24.99



Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE picture

Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE

$68.99



Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1 TB SATA III 3.5 in Desktop Hard Drive picture

Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1 TB SATA III 3.5 in Desktop Hard Drive

$23.99



Seagate ST3000NM0005 HDD 3TB SATA 6Gb/s 7.2K 3.5

Seagate ST3000NM0005 HDD 3TB SATA 6Gb/s 7.2K 3.5" 512 b/s

$59.00



Seagate Barracuda ST500DM002 500 GB SATA III 3.5 in Desktop Hard Drive picture

Seagate Barracuda ST500DM002 500 GB SATA III 3.5 in Desktop Hard Drive

$14.99



New Western Digital WD40EFPX 68C6CN0 4TB 3.5

New Western Digital WD40EFPX 68C6CN0 4TB 3.5" SATA III Internal NAS Red Plus HDD

$137.59



HGST Ultrastar HUS726040AL5210 4TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s Enterprise HDD picture

HGST Ultrastar HUS726040AL5210 4TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s Enterprise HDD

$41.00