-
HDA1 won't mount
I tried using Knoppix 3.4 to clean up a trojaned Windows ME installation. I have used Knoppix before, I have succesfully removed files after mounting the disk read/write (both FAT32 and NTFS).
This time, the disk (80 gigabyte) wouldn't mount -- the error message said something about an unsupported file system.
More info: I extracted the hard disk from the infected PC and installed it in a working Windows 2000 system. The disk mounted, but appeared nearly blank. Only msdos.sys, io.sys and a couple other files were present (yes, Windows 2000 was set to show all files, even hidden and system files).
Finally, I put the infected disk back in its own system, and booted that PC off an old Windows 98 startup floppy I dug up. Now, finally, I could see all the files on the hard disk (and delete the hard to remove trojan).
Anyone know why I couldn't see the contents of this FAT32 disk under Knoppix or Win2K?
Thanks, Jim
-
I have yet to find a Linux that mounts my 120 GB disk, but I think it's my fault. Back in the Windows days I wanted to add a second drive to go along with my original 20 GB hard disk, and like a fool, made the very n00b mistake of making it all one big 120 gig partition. One of these days I will get around to repartitioning it, but I think Linux just doesn't like partitions that big--or at least, I don't know how to get them to mount them. I assume Windows sees it all, but I only have 30 gigs on it at this point.
Similar Threads
-
By Skaster in forum General Support
Replies: 6
Last Post: 01-05-2005, 09:04 PM
-
By A. Jorge Garcia in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 07-04-2004, 04:29 AM
-
By A. Jorge Garcia in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 07-04-2004, 04:26 AM
-
By rodrigo_tomita in forum General Support
Replies: 4
Last Post: 11-14-2003, 12:49 PM
-
By Capoeira in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 09-28-2003, 08:46 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS
$179.98

Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS
$239.99

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00

Lenovo ThinkStation P520c Intel Xeon W-2133 6-Core 3.60GHz -NO RAM/ HDD/ GPU/ OS
$127.54

Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Silver 4114 2.20GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA
$354.48

Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS
$84.49

Matched Pair _ Intel Xeon E5-2698 V4 2.2GHz 20-Core Processor CPU LGA2011 SR2JW
$94.99

Intel Xeon E5-2690 v4 SR2N2 14 Core 2.6GHz 35MB LGA2011-3 CPU *km
$15.99

Intel Xeon Phi 5110P 60-Core 1.053GHz Coprocessor
$50.00

HP Z440 Workstation TWR Xeon E5-1603 v3, 8GB RAM, NVS310, SB1570, NO SSD/OS #95
$89.99