-
Virtual PC and HD install
I am trying to install Knoppix from live CD to Virtual PC, had not had any success. I boot with the CD in Virtual PC then I run the command KNX2HD, it goes in to install then stops and says HDD is read only can not write.
I am new to Linux, anyone have any ideas how can I install knoppix on Virtual PC.
Thanks
MasterCheef
-
Junior Member
registered user
very interesting, but that's exactly I'm trying to figure myself....
If I can figure something, I'll tell you too...
-

Originally Posted by
Fenix*NBK*
very interesting, but that's exactly I'm trying to figure myself....
If I can figure something, I'll tell you too...
lol. ican not even boot it from cd . I need some help. Thanks
-
If this is still an issue, here is a solution
I just installed knoppix on an MS Virtual PC 6 disk image. I had to convert the drive image to fixed size from dynamic expanding. Using the sudo knoppix-installer system, it seemed to work perfectly. Hope this helps someone.
-
Re: If this is still an issue, here is a solution

Originally Posted by
macphlak
I just installed knoppix on an MS Virtual PC 6 disk image. I had to convert the drive image to fixed size from dynamic expanding. Using the sudo knoppix-installer system, it seemed to work perfectly. Hope this helps someone.
Thanks for this feedback. Well could u explain a little more. I want to mount the knopix live cd in to virtual drive and then use that virtual drive with MS virtual pc . OR burn the knopix live cd in to cd and use it with virtual pc. is they a specile way of burning the image to allow it run in virutal pc ? looking forward to your reply.
-
How I had Virtual PC 6 set:
New Virtual HD ready to install Linux on.
Memory settings set at 128+MB
Boot from CD Allowed.
I had:
One Knoppix CD burned with Roxio Toast from the most recent ISO in my internal CDROM
One Graphite iMac DV SE g3/500mhz running 10.3.5
What I did:
Booted the Linux ready virtual drive which started off the CD.
Typed in knoppix at boot
waited forever to get KDE to load (You don't need the Virtual additions (I didn't at least)
used the Konsole to run sudo knoppix-installer
used formatting software built in the software to make a root and swap partitions
followed the wizard's instructions (chose knoppix install instead of debian)
went to watch The Complete Works of William Shakespeare Abridged
came back and it was installed
-
Senior Member
registered user
You should just be able to click cd; (from the create vp wizard) then hit "capture iso" and select the iso from the cd rom, or better still wherever you have it on your computer; (now it's visible under "cd") then click file -- hit "ctrl alt del" and see it fire up, virtually, no installation necessary: about 2 minutes on my system.
MS user:
1. click cd -- hit "capture iso"
2. click file -- hit "ctrl alt del"
3. see it fire up!
Similar Threads
-
By Israel in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 18
Last Post: 06-21-2005, 04:41 PM
-
By TimWhite in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 1
Last Post: 02-22-2005, 07:38 PM
-
By kenblood in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 7
Last Post: 09-07-2004, 09:24 AM
-
By ndv2l in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 05-26-2004, 04:57 AM
-
By cinzano in forum Laptops
Replies: 3
Last Post: 01-30-2004, 02:30 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Lenovo ThinkPad L13 Yoga Touch Laptop 13.3” Core i5 8GB RAM 256GB SSD Win 11 Pro
$239.99

Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6" 16GB, Thunder Black
$241.50

Lenovo ThinkPad T495 14” Laptop AMD Ryzen 5 PRO 16GB RAM 256GB SSD Windows 11
$229.99

Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 2 Laptop 14” HD Ryzen 5 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11 Pro
$319.99

Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 1 14" AMD Ryzen 5 16GB 256GB SSD
$219.99

Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 3 Laptop 14” FHD AMD Ryzen 5 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11
$374.99

Lenovo Thinkpad T14 Gen 2i 14" 16GB 512GB, Black
$313.00

Lenovo Thinkpad T14 Gen 2 14" 16GB, Thunder Black
$387.46

Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6" 16GB, Thunder Black
$241.50

Windows 11 PRO Laptop Notebook PC Computer, 8GB Ram, Webcam, Wifi, and HDMI
$144.00