Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Virtual PC and HD install

Hybrid View

  1. #1

    Virtual PC and HD install

    I am trying to install Knoppix from live CD to Virtual PC, had not had any success. I boot with the CD in Virtual PC then I run the command KNX2HD, it goes in to install then stops and says HDD is read only can not write.

    I am new to Linux, anyone have any ideas how can I install knoppix on Virtual PC.

    Thanks

    MasterCheef

  2. #2
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Israel, Netanya
    Posts
    18
    very interesting, but that's exactly I'm trying to figure myself....

    If I can figure something, I'll tell you too...

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenix*NBK*
    very interesting, but that's exactly I'm trying to figure myself....

    If I can figure something, I'll tell you too...
    lol. ican not even boot it from cd . I need some help. Thanks

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    in my head somewhere
    Posts
    2

    If this is still an issue, here is a solution

    I just installed knoppix on an MS Virtual PC 6 disk image. I had to convert the drive image to fixed size from dynamic expanding. Using the sudo knoppix-installer system, it seemed to work perfectly. Hope this helps someone.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    6

    Re: If this is still an issue, here is a solution

    Quote Originally Posted by macphlak
    I just installed knoppix on an MS Virtual PC 6 disk image. I had to convert the drive image to fixed size from dynamic expanding. Using the sudo knoppix-installer system, it seemed to work perfectly. Hope this helps someone.
    Thanks for this feedback. Well could u explain a little more. I want to mount the knopix live cd in to virtual drive and then use that virtual drive with MS virtual pc . OR burn the knopix live cd in to cd and use it with virtual pc. is they a specile way of burning the image to allow it run in virutal pc ? looking forward to your reply.

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    in my head somewhere
    Posts
    2
    How I had Virtual PC 6 set:
    New Virtual HD ready to install Linux on.
    Memory settings set at 128+MB
    Boot from CD Allowed.
    I had:
    One Knoppix CD burned with Roxio Toast from the most recent ISO in my internal CDROM
    One Graphite iMac DV SE g3/500mhz running 10.3.5
    What I did:
    Booted the Linux ready virtual drive which started off the CD.
    Typed in knoppix at boot
    waited forever to get KDE to load (You don't need the Virtual additions (I didn't at least)
    used the Konsole to run sudo knoppix-installer
    used formatting software built in the software to make a root and swap partitions
    followed the wizard's instructions (chose knoppix install instead of debian)
    went to watch The Complete Works of William Shakespeare Abridged
    came back and it was installed

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    120
    You should just be able to click cd; (from the create vp wizard) then hit "capture iso" and select the iso from the cd rom, or better still wherever you have it on your computer; (now it's visible under "cd") then click file -- hit "ctrl alt del" and see it fire up, virtually, no installation necessary: about 2 minutes on my system.

    MS user:
    1. click cd -- hit "capture iso"

    2. click file -- hit "ctrl alt del"

    3. see it fire up!

Similar Threads

  1. Virtual Pc Nightmare!
    By Israel in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 06-21-2005, 04:41 PM
  2. Knoppix & MS Virtual PC
    By TimWhite in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-22-2005, 07:38 PM
  3. Knoppix in a Virtual PC virtual machine hosted under Win XP
    By kenblood in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-07-2004, 09:24 AM
  4. knoppix & virtual pc 6
    By ndv2l in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-26-2004, 04:57 AM
  5. Virtual CD for knoppix
    By cinzano in forum Laptops
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-30-2004, 02:30 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Vintage Cherry W. Germany G80-0486H/05 Mechanical 25-Pin D-Sub Keyboard M8 picture

Vintage Cherry W. Germany G80-0486H/05 Mechanical 25-Pin D-Sub Keyboard M8

$170.99



Vintage Computer - PC Innovation Intel 486DX2 - Dos Ver 6.2 Windows 3.1 picture

Vintage Computer - PC Innovation Intel 486DX2 - Dos Ver 6.2 Windows 3.1

$250.00



Vintage HP Hewlett Packard 2112A 21MX 1000 M-Series 16-Bit Minicomputer picture

Vintage HP Hewlett Packard 2112A 21MX 1000 M-Series 16-Bit Minicomputer

$419.99



Vintage Jetway J-620BF Socket 370 Celeron AT Motherboard SiS 620 Brand New picture

Vintage Jetway J-620BF Socket 370 Celeron AT Motherboard SiS 620 Brand New

$75.00



Vintage Timbuk2 Crossbody Messenger Bag Forest Green/ Black  Y2k USA Made picture

Vintage Timbuk2 Crossbody Messenger Bag Forest Green/ Black Y2k USA Made

$85.00



Vintage NRI Model 832 Microcomputer Case - See Photos picture

Vintage NRI Model 832 Microcomputer Case - See Photos

$295.00



Lot 8x HP D2297A 16MB 72-Pin Parity SIMM 128MB 70ns 4Mx36 1818-5661 Vintage picture

Lot 8x HP D2297A 16MB 72-Pin Parity SIMM 128MB 70ns 4Mx36 1818-5661 Vintage

$69.98



Vintage cross Apple computer branded pen rainbow logo In original box picture

Vintage cross Apple computer branded pen rainbow logo In original box

$100.00



Vintage ECS Micro-ATX Desktop Case | Beige/Dark Grey | *READ* picture

Vintage ECS Micro-ATX Desktop Case | Beige/Dark Grey | *READ*

$80.00



ASUS A7V333 Vintage Motherboard | Untested | For Parts picture

ASUS A7V333 Vintage Motherboard | Untested | For Parts

$44.89