Well, I made the change in the /etc/profile file as noted in the previous post, and I still have the same problem.
Not that there's anything wrong with that..I just can't read it.
After a mostly successful HDD install, everything is working, however when in a shell MAN pages, shell errors, etc. are in German. I'm pretty sure that they were in English at one time, then for some reason I booted to the Knoppix CD and I beleive that's when th e change happened. I am a newbie at this and any help would be greatly appreciated.
here is a copy of /etc/profile
after looking at this i noticed the line:Code:# /etc/profile umask 022 PATH="/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/games" export PATH # Set LOCALE if [ -f /etc/sysconfig/i18n ]; then . /etc/sysconfig/i18n [ -n "$LANG" ] || LANG="de_DE" export LANG [ -n "$LC_CTYPE" ] && export LC_CTYPE || unset LC_CTYPE [ -n "$LC_COLLATE" ] && export LC_COLLATE || unset LC_COLLATE [ -n "$LC_MESSAGES" ] && export LC_MESSAGES || unset LC_MESSAGES [ -n "$LC_NUMERIC" ] && export LC_NUMERIC || unset LC_NUMERIC [ -n "$LC_MONETARY" ] && export LC_MONETARY || unset LC_MONETARY [ -n "$LC_TIME" ] && export LC_TIME || unset LC_TIME [ -n "$LC_ALL" ] && export LC_ALL || unset LC_ALL [ -n "$LANGUAGE" ] && export LANGUAGE || unset LANGUAGE [ -n "$LINGUAS" ] && export LINGUAS || unset LINGUAS [ -n "$_XKB_CHARSET" ] && export _XKB_CHARSET || unset _XKB_CHARSET if [ -n "$SYSFONTACM" ]; then case $SYSFONTACM in iso01*|iso02*|iso15*|koi*|latin2-ucw*) if [ "$TERM" = "linux" ]; then if ls -l /proc/$$/fd/0 2>/dev/null | grep -- '-> /dev/tty[0-9]*$' >/dev/null 2>&1; then echo -n -e '\033(K' > /proc/$$/fd/0 fi fi ;; esac fi unset SYSFONTACM fi # END LOCALE # enable bash completion in interactive shells [ "$PS1" -a -f /etc/bash_completion ] && . /etc/bash_completion PS1="\u@\h:\w\\$ " alias which="type -path" alias where="type -all" alias ll="ls -l --color=auto" alias rm="rm -i" alias mv="mv -i" alias cp="cp -i" alias la="ls -la --color=auto" alias ls="ls --color=auto"
is that the sole source of my problem, as this happens on all users?Code:[ -n "$LANG" ] || LANG="de_DE"
If it is, what would I change it to? "us_US" ?
Thanks
k0rrupt
Well, I made the change in the /etc/profile file as noted in the previous post, and I still have the same problem.
I edited the knoppix-autoconfig as follows:
and rebooted, to no availCode:### localization # Allow language specification via commandline. The default language # will be overridden via "lang=de" boot commandline LANGUAGE="$(getbootparam lang 2>/dev/null)" [ -n "$LANGUAGE" ] || LANGUAGE="us"
temporary fix seems to be adding:
to my main user's .bashrc fileCode:LANG=C
I did notice that there are several other changes made that also may have effected final outcome.
Thanks for the suggestions
k0rrupt
Resolved!
Seems that editing both
/etc/sysconfig/in18n
andCode:LANG="C" COUNTRY="us" LANGUAGE="us" CHARSET="iso8859-15" XMODIFIERS=""
etc/init.d/knoppix-autoconfig
has resolved this issue. woohoo!Code:### localization # Allow language specification via commandline. The default language # will be overridden via "lang=de" boot commandline LANGUAGE="$(getbootparam lang 2>/dev/null)" [ -n "$LANGUAGE" ] || LANGUAGE="us"
Thanks for the point in the right direction, uraclea2002
Glad I could be of help

Vintage Apple II Avant-Garde Creations Super Shape Draw And Animate 1981
$295.00
Vintage Apple Design Keyboard Model M2980 Macintosh 1994 Untested
$28.49
Vintage Apple IIgs 3.5” & 5.25” Floppy Disk Drives A9M0106 A9M0107 Untested
$115.00
Vintage Apple Macintosh LC M0350 Desktop No Harddrive No Power Supply - Parts
$71.95
Vintage Apple Macintosh Plus 1MB - M0001A W/ Keyboard, 2 Mice, 800K HD, + More
$300.00
Lot of 64 Apple II IIe IIc 5.25” Floppy Disk Games Software Utilities Vintage
$39.00
Rare Vintage Macintosh Apple Wooden Disk Storage Box Dovetailed
$69.95
5x Vintage Apple Macintosh II NuBus Cards 630-4179 NI GPIB DIO Asante Ethernet
$239.95
Vintage Apple Multiple Scan 15av Display Monitor M4681
$299.99
Vintage Apple Monitor IIc 9" Green Monochrome 06/1985 A2M4090 October 1984 Stand
$275.00